This isn't much of a Holiday Season story. But it is remarkable.
Last week we were doing laundry in my household...not a very remarkable thing, as chores go. However, we were greeted by a shocking sight!
Our laundry area is a double wide closet area with shelves behind the washer and drier, and a power plug to power them both behind the units. We also have a closet rod stretched across the space, for hanging clothes to air dry and sort.
Was I ever surprised when my wife was sorting these dress shirts hanging on the rod, and remarked, "What's with all the blood?"
"Why's all this blood dripping down the power socket?"
Fearing the worst, I ran into the laundry area, and pulled back the shirts. There, flowing down the wall and coating the electrical socket, is a blood red liquid, apparently from the shelves above.
This red Niagara wasn't flowing as much as it had dried up, and appeared to be a copious amount of tacky red dried blood.
A quick search revealed the culprit. An older pressurized can of carpet cleaner had leaked, spraying it's red contents over the shelf, and dripping down the wall behind the washer.
After killing the power to the socket, I carefully began to wipe up the red substance, and I began to recognize a smell that had escaped me the week before. My nose had detected some detergent smell, but I could not find the source.... until now!
Apparently the seam of the pressurized can had begun to let go last week, and I smelled it, but didn't know the source... until my wife noticed the problem dripping down the wall. I asked where she had purchased the can, and it appears it was the last of three cans she picked up at a discount store, many many months ago, if not years.
I've not seen anything like this before... but it reminds me that we should patrol our houses and remove unused chemicals and products before they get old. After all, you wouldn't want a holiday surprise!
Designed by Gray Digital Media