UPDATE: Ohio woman charged in death of 12-year-old boy who died of fentanyl overdose

By  | 

COLUMBUS, Ohio (AP) - UPDATE: 10/14/17

Authorities have charged a 60-year-old Ohio woman in the death of a 12-year-old boy who a coroner says died from a fentanyl overdose during a sleepover at her apartment.

Sheila Hutchins was charged Friday with involuntary manslaughter and child endangering in the death of Kanye Champelle in July. The Columbus woman remains held on a $50,000 bond after a Franklin County Municipal Court hearing Saturday.

Emergency crews were called to the apartment after the boy reportedly started choking and found him unconscious. He died two days later at a hospital.

It remains unclear how he was exposed to the powerful synthetic opioid during a sleepover birthday party for a cousin or whose drugs they were.

Hutchins' public defender couldn't be reached for comment Saturday.


ORIGINAL STORY: 09/23/2017

An Ohio coroner has concluded that a 12-year-old boy found unresponsive during a birthday sleepover died from an accidental overdose of the powerful painkiller fentanyl, not from choking on a piece of gum.

Columbus police tell WCMH-TV that they're investigating how Kanye Champelle came into contact with the drug before he was found during his cousin's party at an apartment complex in Columbus in July. He died two days later.

The Franklin County coroner found no sign of an injection, and the autopsy didn't specify how contact with the drug might have occurred.

Medics who responded to the scene removed a wad of chewing gum from the boy's throat. The coroner determined that choking was a factor but not the cause of his death.



 
Comments are posted from viewers like you and do not always reflect the views of this station. powered by Disqus