Smoke detector helps family escape fire that destroys their home

By  | 

Belpre, OH (WTAP)-- A Belpre family is being assisted by the American Red Cross this morning after their Poplar Street house was "fully engulfed" around 4:30 AM.

The family told firefighters on scene that the fire started in the kitchen and spread from there.

Everyone made it out safely, but the house is a total loss.

Fire officials say a working smoke detector likely saved the family's life.

The fire is still under investigation.

Stay with WTAP online and on-air as we continue to learn new details.