Update: Firefighters release name of woman who died after Parkersburg duplex fire

By  | 

PARKERSBURG, W.Va. (WTAP) - UPDATE: 07/11/2018, 6:17 P.M.

Firefighters have released the name of the Parkersburg woman who died from 3rd degree burns after her duplex caught fire on Monday.

Joyce Hart, 51-years-old, died late Tuesday at West Penn Burn Center in Pittsburgh, where she was being treated for 3rd degree burns on half of her body.

Firefighters say the fire started around 1;30 P.M. on Monday, when a cigarette started a fire on the front porch of Hart's 2-story duplex on 31st Street in Parkersburg.

The fire then spread to the upper floor of the home, where Hart was trapped until she was rescued by neighbors who saw the fire and called 911.

Hart was flown to West Penn Burn Center in Pittsburgh, where she died late Tuesday.


UPDATE: 7/10/2018, 8:28 P.M.:

The woman hurt from a duplex fire dies from her injuries.

Firefighters say she passed away late Tuesday afternoon at West Penn Burn Center in Pittsburgh. Her name is not being released yet.

Firefighters say she had third degree burns on half her body.

Her front porch caught fire Monday around 1:30 p.m. She lived in a two-story duplex on 31st Street in Parkersburg.

Firefighters say the fire started accidentally from a cigarette.


UPDATE: 07/09/2018, 7:56 P.M.

Firefighters say the woman injured in a duplex fire has third-degree burns on 50% of her body and was flown to West Penn Burn Center in Pittsburgh.

It happened when her front porch caught fire Monday around 1:30 p.m. She lived in a two-story duplex on 31st Street in Parkersburg.

The Parkersburg Fire chief says the fire started accidentally by a cigarette. He says it heavily damaged the rest of the duplex as it spread.


UPDATE: 7/9/2018 5:30 P.M.

One person was taken by helicopter to a Pittsburgh hospital after a fire in a duplex on 31st Street in Parkersburg Monday.

It broke out in a two-story building housing two apartments shortly before 1:30 P.M.

It then spread to the upper floor of the structure, with water damage to the upper floor apartment.

A mother and son who live nearby witnessed the fire and contacted first responders, while attempting to rescue a woman who was inside the burning building.

"I ran downstairs and told (my mother)," said young Daniel Tennant, "and she got up real quickly and I was shocked, because that was the first time I ever did something like that."

"And I got (the victim) away from the fire and I was talking to her," said Daniel's mother, Danielle Rockhold, "but she was out of it-she was in shock."

We have not yet been able to confirm the name of the victim. But we are told she was first taken to Camden Clark Medical Center and then transported by helicopter to West Penn Burn Center.

Her condition is not yet available.

Chief Matthews says since there has been an injury, the West Virginia Fire Marshal's Office has been contacted to investigate.


At least one person has been taken to the hospital with possible burn injuries after a fire in Parkersburg Monday afternoon.

The Parkersburg Fire Department remains on the scene of the fire in the 700 block of 31st Street.

A Wood County 911 Center dispatch supervisor says one person was taken to the hospital by ambulance to be treated for a possible burn injuries.

The blaze was called into the 911 about 1:30 Monday afternoon.

No other information is available at this time.

We have a reporter at the scene, and we'll have updates online and during our evening newscasts as more information becomes available.



 
Comments are posted from viewers like you and do not always reflect the views of this station. powered by Disqus