PARKERSBURG, W.Va. (WTAP) - Each month, one lucky teacher wins the Jan Dils Golden Apple Award.
Friday was a special award ceremony, marking the 100th Golden Apple Award to be given out.
Nici Liotti is a Life Skills teacher at Parkersburg High School.
She has been teaching for 18 years, 11 of which have been at PHS.
She was nominated by a former student, who said Liotti is an all around amazing teacher to her students, pushing them to graduate.
Liotti does this by letting students come into her class during her planning period, matching students with tutor, and even going as far as supplying students with meals.
"The interaction with the children is the most rewarding part of it. We all have our day to day things, that's what teaching is. But the interaction and the communication, and the young people is so needed. And we take for granted that they're all safe and they're not. So my daily interaction with children is amazing. It's a gift."
She says any teachers getting into the field should know 80% of the job is emotional, while the remaining 20% is book work.
Liotti says the feeling she gets seeing her students succeed in life is worth every moment of her hard work.