WVa Towns Can Seek Unpaid Costs From Tax Refunds

By  | 

Charleston, W.Va. (AP) -- Municipalities in West Virginias are getting help from the state in collecting delinquent fines, fees or other costs.

West Virginia tax commissioner Christopher G. Morris said Monday that municipalities can ask the tax department to withhold money from a delinquent taxpayer's personal income tax refund to pay the debt.

Taxpayers are subject to the state withholding money from their income tax refund if they don't pay municipal costs within 270 days of the judgment.

Morris says the goal is to increase voluntary compliance.

(Copyright 2009 by the Associated Press. All rights reserved.)

Comments are posted from viewers like you and do not always reflect the views of this station. powered by Disqus