Home Heating Assistance

By  | 

As those December temperatures continue to drop, people are starting to turn up the heat, which causes the heating bills to go up too.

If you have trouble paying those bills, you may be eligible for a heating assistance program.

There are options in both Ohio and West Virginia that can help keep you warm, no matter what type of heat you use.

The Washington/Morgan Community Action has the regular HEAP, or "Home Energy Assistance Program," which helps low income families pay utility bills.

There is also a Winter Crisis Program that can prevent the disconnection of utilities.

For more information on these programs, just call (740) 373-3745. For Morgan County, call (740) 962-3827. You can apply now through March 31.

Across the river in Wood County, there is the Low Income Energy Assistance Program.

DHHR officials say those who qualify receive an average of $450 for assistance.

Applications can be picked up at the Department of Health and Human Resources office in downtown Parkersburg.

They must be turned back in to the office by December 18.

If you don't have a previous case with the program, be sure to bring verification of income and a copy of the utility bill you're requesting help with.

Comments are posted from viewers like you and do not always reflect the views of this station. powered by Disqus