Dangers of Carbon Monoxide

More Video...

An emergency like having no gas brings out the space heaters.

It's not just a fire hazard.

In fact for some, it could be just like leaving your car running in the garage.

Carbon monoxide is a silent killer.

You don't see it coming and you don't feel it coming.

Carbon monoxide is dangerous.

Bottom line, do you have a detector?

Marietta Fire Chief C.W. Durham says this is something they have been dealing with a lot this winter.

They get a couple of calls a month, usually as a result of faulty appliances.

That's why stoves, furnaces and fireplaces need to be checked.

And again, get a detector, or else you wouldn't know.

"Preferably on every level of the home and if you can in every bedroom," says Chief Durham. "You want to at least have one though depending on the home layout though because otherwise you have no warning signs that you have a carbon monoxide leak in your house."

Around all alternative heating devices in your home, make sure you keep a radius for people, pets and anything combustible.

Chief Durham says because of this cold weather and lots of it, people are using their heat appliances more than usual.

They should be checked annually but he says to be safe, check them again.


Comments are posted from viewers like you and do not always reflect the views of this station.
powered by Disqus
TheNewsCenter One Television Plaza Parkersburg, WV. 26101 304-485-4588
Gray Television, Inc. - Copyright © 2002-2014 - Designed by Gray Digital Media - Powered by Clickability 245533971 - thenewscenter.tv/a?a=245533971