Three Investigations And A Manpower Shortage

By  | 

Updated: 5/09/2013 6:10 P.M.

The death of Billie Anne Runnion, a month and a half after a severe beating during an apparent burglary at her home, is just the latest in a series of deaths under investigation by the marietta police department.

Police are also still probing the death of Carl Travis of Parkersburg, who last was seen alive at the Lafayette Hotel, and whose body was found in the Ohio River April 12.

A week before that discovery, the body of Frank Stevens was found in a Groves Avenue home.

Runnion's body is the latest to have been sent to the Montgomery County cororner's office.

"We're still waiting on the autopsy (on Runnion's body), and talking to any potential witnesses we have," says Captain Jeff Waite, of the Marietta Police Department
Have any come forward?
Capt. Waite: " No, they haven't."

The police are doing this while dealing with a number of departures in their department, notably that of long-time detective Troy Hawkins, who recently moved on to the Washington County Sheriff's Office. Greg Nohe has taken his place, but the department also has several vacancies for officers.

"We were fortunate, in that with (a break-in at the American Legion), we were able to solve it and make arrests," Capt. Waite says. "But it requires us to do what we have to do with less personnel. On May 18, we have the physical agility test and on May 23, we have the Civil Service Test. And we're going to do our best to get some good individuals and get some of our staff back."


Original story: 5/08/2013

What started as a brutal burglary investigation may now turn into a murder investigation.

Marietta police need your help solving this crime.

It all started March 19th, when Marietta Police responded to a home on Emerson Avenue.

They found 80 year old Billie Anne Runnion and 50 year old James Allen Runnion, both severely beaten.

Investigators believe the thieves were there for prescription medicine.
James Runnion was treated and returned home to recover.

Billie Ann Runnion spent time in a Columbus hospital and was then taken to the Arbors in Marietta.

She died last Saturday, May 4th.

Her body was taken to the Montgomery County Coroner's Office for an autopsy.

Police say whomever is responsible faces charges for aggravated burglary and assault, and possibly more depending on the autopsy.

The Marietta Police ask you to a call 740-376-2007 with any information that could help.

Comments are posted from viewers like you and do not always reflect the views of this station. powered by Disqus