UPDATE: Police Have Suspects in Vacant Marietta House Fire

By  | 

UPDATE 2/25/2014 2:06 PM

The investigation continues into a suspicious fire at a vacant home on Gilman Avenue in Marietta last Friday night.

Marietta Fire Chief C.W. Durham says the state fire marshal's office was down investigating Monday.

This is the third time in five years the house has caught on fire.

Police say the home was ruled a total loss after the last fire.

Neighbors say there were squatters living in the home.

Marietta Police are also investigating and they say they have suspects in the fire but no arrest.

However, Marietta Police have arrested 56-year-old Randall Wilson for criminal trespassing.

Police Captain Jeff Waite says he admitted to being in the home a couple days before.

UPDATE 2/24/2014 9:50 AM

Incredibly, one Marietta house goes up in flames for the third time in five years.

It happened around 11:30 Friday night at a vacant home on Gilman Avenue, just north of the Washington Street Bridge.

Firefighters got the flames under control by midnight.

But they stayed on scene fighting hot spots into the morning.

Officials say the home also caught fire in 2009 and 2010 - both were investigated arson cases.

This time around, they were able to fight the flames with some new resources.

"This is one of the first structure fires that we've used the Class A foam on. It seems to be working real well for us," says Marietta Fire Chief C.W. Durham. "The guys did a great job, knocking down the fire, getting everything done. They a great job putting the fire out in a very short period of time."

Fire fighters used chainsaws to make their way through some walls of the home.

The house was listed as the address of Frank Stevens, the victim of a suspected murder last April happening just up the road on Groves Avenue.

Again, the building was vacant, so fortunately, no one was hurt.

Some neighbors say homeless people were taking shelter in the house.

Marietta Fire Department responded to the call around 11:30 PM at the 900 Block on Gilman Ave.

Marietta Fire Chief C.W. Durham says when crews arrived on scene there was heavy fire.

The structure was vacant.

Firefighters were able to control the fire within the first twenty minutes.

They continue to fight hot spots and will have a crew on scene most of the night just to make sure nothing starts back up.

Marietta's full department was called to the scene.

Firefighters used chainsaws to access hidden fire spots with the walls of the home.

This was one of the first times the department was able to use the new Class A Foam.

Chief Durham says this is the third time this house has caught on fire.

Marietta Police Department was also on scene.

No word on the cause. Chief Durham says it will be under investigation with the State Fire Marshals office.

Neighbors say there were homeless people living in the house and when the fire started they saw someone run up the hill away from the area.

Neighbors say the home belonged to deceased Frank Stevens and now the family owns it.

Comments are posted from viewers like you and do not always reflect the views of this station. powered by Disqus