UPDATE: Scam Text Message Sent All Over The Valley

By  | 

UPDATE: 11/12/2012 4:00 PM

It happened it Wood, Jackson, and Pleasants Counties. A text message scam hits thousands of cell phones over the weekend.

Local police departments received several calls about a text message scam.

In the message, the sender tells people their bank account has been deactivated. It asks people to enter their bank account information to reactivate their account.

Some of the messages say the accounts are with Williamstown National Bank or Pleasants County Bank.

Police say even though the banks are local, it's a scam and to not respond.

"Several of our officers also received this text message and basically the right answer is to delete the text. If you're concerned about your account, call your bank and verify that everything's fine," says Parkersburg Police Sgt. Greg Collins.

He says, scams like this over the internet and phone happen often, but it's important to do your research and have common sense to make sure it's legit.

"The biggest thing now is for people not to submit any information. If the bank had cancelled your debit card, they would obviously know your debit card number and wouldn't be asking you for it, so just don't fall into those traps."

The FBI is investigating to determine if it's a local scam, or on a national level. If you have any questions, call your bank or local police department.
A text message scam prompts hundreds of calls to local police departments.

St. Marys Police tell us the text message says that your account has been deactivated.

It also asks you to respond with your bank account information to reactive your account.

Police say it's a scam and to not respond to the message at all.

They're asking people to continue monitoring their accounts online or through the phone.

Police say if you did respond, to withdrawl your money or transfer it to another account until your bank opens on Tuesday.

The scam's still under investigation and police are informing the FBI.

If you have questions, call your local police department.