While the salt on sidewalks may keep you from slipping, it could harm your pet.
The chemicals in rock salt can damage an animal's internal organs and cause it to die.
Experts say to treat your pet within fifteen minutes if it ingests the snow-melting agent. A local vet says to induce vomiting with hydrogen peroxide and water.
Then get your pet to the doctor immediately.
"It's pretty nasty stuff," said Butch Morris, humane officer with the Humane Society of The Mid-Ohio Valley. "Even the pet friendly doesn't melt the snow as well as the rock salt so... people don't use [it]."
Rock salt can also damage the pads on pets' feet and cause them to crack and bleed.
Morris suggested to wash your dog's feet after walks to avoid this.