Transcript from President Obama's OU Speech

>> HELLO, OHIO!

>> [ APPLAUSE ].

>> HOW'S IT GOING, BOBCATS?

>> [ APPLAUSE ]

>> ARE YOU FIRED UP?

>> [ APPLAUSE ]

>> ARE YOU READY TO GO?

>> YES!

>> BOY, THIS IS A GOOD CROWD!

>> [ APPLAUSE ]

>> IT'S A GOOD CROWD, AND A

GOOD-LOOKING CROWD!

>> [ APPLAUSE ]

>> THE WEATHER IS PERFECT.

WHO ARRANGED THE WEATHER?

GOOD JOB!

CAN EVERYBODY PLEASE GIVE A BIG

ROUND OF APPLAUSE FOR SHANNON

FOR THE GREAT INTRODUCTION?

>> [ APPLAUSE ]

>> PLEASE GIVE A ROUND OF

APPLAUSE TO MY GREAT FRIEND,

YOUR FORMER GOVERNOR, TED

STRICKLAND'S IN THE HOUSE.

>> [ APPLAUSE ]

>> AND YOUR OUTSTANDING MAYOR,

PAUL WIEHL, IS HERE.

I CAME HERE BECAUSE I HEAR YOU

HAVE A PRETTY FUN FOOTBALL TEAM

TO WATCH.

UNDEFEATED, IF I'M NOT MISTAKEN.

>> [ APPLAUSE ]

>> A SHOT AT THE MAC

CHAMPIONSHIP, MAYBE A BCS BID.

>> [ APPLAUSE ]

>> I JUST WANT TO POINT OUT THAT

I WAS PUSHING FOR A PLAYOFF

SYSTEM, WE GOT A PLAYOFF SYSTEM,

ONE MORE PROMISE KEPT, FOR THOSE

OF YOU WHO ARE FOLLOWING COLLEGE

FOOTBALL, BUT IT IS OUTSTANDING,

THE BOBCATS ARE DOING SO WELL,

SO I WANT TO WISH YOU GUYS LUCK

IN THE UPCOMING SEASON.

I ALSO CAME HERE TODAY, OHIO,

BECAUSE I WANT YOUR VOTE.

I WANT YOUR VOTE.

I AM NOT TOO PROUD TO BEG.

I WANT YOU TO VOTE!

>> [ APPLAUSE ].

>> AND THE GOOD NEWS IS YOU CAN

VOTE IN OHIO RIGHT NOW.

FIND OUT WHERE AT

VOTEFORBARACKOBAMA.COM.

YOU CAN VOTE AT 15 SOUTH COURT

STREET, JUST A FEW BLOCKS AWAY,

EVERYBODY KNOWS WHERE THAT IS.

>> [ APPLAUSE ]

>> IF NOT, FIND OUT.

I KNOW A BUNCH OF FOLKS OF

MEETING THERE AT 3:00 P.M.

TOMORROW TO VOTE TOGETHER.

WHAT DO YOU SAY, OHIO?

CAN YOU GRAB SOME FRIENDS AND GO

VOTE?

GO VOTE!

MY ASSUMPTION IS IF YOU'RE HERE,

YOU'RE GOING TO VOTE.

SO YOU'VE GOT TO GO BACK TO YOUR

DORM, GRAB THAT GUY WHO'S

SITTING THERE EATING CHIPS

WATCHING SPORTSCENTER, TELL HIM

HE'S GOT TO VOTE, TOO.

>> [ FROM THE AUDIENCE ]

I LOVE YOU, BARACK!

>> I LOVE YOU BACK!

NOW, WE HAD OUR SECOND

PRESIDENTIAL DEBATE LAST NIGHT.

>> [ APPLAUSE ]

>> I'M STILL TRYING TO GET THE

HANG OF THIS THING.

THERE WERE A COUPLE OF THINGS

THAT I NOTICE THAT KEEPS ON

RECURRING IN THIS DEBATE AND

DURING THE COURSE OF THIS

CAMPAIGN.

GOVERNOR ROMNEY CONTINUES TO RUN

AROUND TALKING ABOUT HIS

FIVE-POINT PLAN FOR THE ECONOMY.

>> [ BOOING ]

>> WAIT, WAIT, WAIT!

DON'T BOO; VOTE!

BUT AS WE SAW LAST NIGHT, THE

FIVE-POINT PLAN REALLY BOILS

DOWN TO ONE POINT: FOLKS AT THE

VERY TOP GET TO PLAY BY A

DIFFERENT SET OF RULES THAN YOU

DO, SO THEY CAN PAY LOWER TAXES,

THEY CAN USE OFFSHORE ACCOUNTS,

THEY CAN BUY A COMPANY LOWED UP

WITH DEBT, STRIP OFF THE

WORKERS, SEND THE JOBS OVERSEAS,

AND STILL MAKE A BIG PROFIT

DOING IT.

IT'S THE SAME PHILOSOPHY THAT'S

BEEN SQUEEZING MIDDLE CLASS

FAMILIES FOR OVER A DECADE.

IT'S THE SAME PHILOSOPHY THAT

GOT US INTO THIS MESS, AND I'VE

SEEN TOO MUCH PAIN AND STRUGGLE

HERE IN OHIO AND ALL ACROSS THE

COUNTRY TO LET US GO DOWN THAT

PATH AGAIN.

WE CANNOT GROW THIS ECONOMY FROM

THE TOP DOWN; WE GROW IT FROM

THE MIDDLE OUT.

WE'RE NOT GOING BACKWARD.

WE'RE GOING FORWARD.

THAT'S WHY I'M RUNNING FOR A

SECOND TERM FOR PRESIDENT, AND

THAT'S WHY I WANT YOUR VOTE!

>> [ APPLAUSE ]

.

>> SO HE'S TRYING TO SELL YOU ON

THIS FIVE-POINT PLAN.

THEN HE TRIES TO TAKE ANOTHER

STAB AT SELLING YOU ON HIS FIVE

TRILLION DOLLAR TAX CUT THAT

FAVORS THE WEALTHY.

HE SAYS IT'S NOT GOING TO RAISE

THE DEFICIT, I'M GOING TO LOWER

TAXES FOR MIDDLE-CLASS FOLKS,

WE'RE NOT GOING TO IN ANY WAY

GIVE A TAX BREAK TO THE WELL TO

DO FOLKS, EVEN THOUGH HE SAID

DURING THE PRIMARY HE WAS GOING

TO CUT TAXES FOR THE TOP 1%.

YOU ASK HIM, "IF YOU'RE GOING TO

PAY FOR ALL OF THIS, HOW ARE YOU

GOING TO PAY FOR IT?"

COULDN'T TELL YOU.

SAID HE COULD CUT PLANNED

PARENTHOOD AND BIG BIRD.

THAT'S WHAT HE SAID!

AND WHEN YOU KEEP ON PRESSING

HIM, HE SAYS, "I SAID I WAS

GOING TO DO IT, I WAS A

BUSINESSMAN, SO YOU JUST TAKE MY

WORD FOR IT."

NOW, HERE'S A TIP: WHEN A

POLITICIAN TELLS YOU THAT HE'S

GOING TO TELL YOU WHAT HE'S

GOING TO DO AFTER THE ELECTION,

BUT HE CAN'T TELL YOU NOW, IT'S

NOT BECAUSE THE PLAN'S SO GOOD

THAT HE DOESN'T WANT TO LET YOU

IN ON IT.

NOT BECAUSE HE WANTS TO GIVE YOU

THIS GREAT SURPRISE LATER ON;

IT'S BECAUSE HE KNOWS IT WON'T

WORK!

EVERYBODY WHO HAS LOOKED AT THIS

TAX PLAN OF HIS SAID HE CAN'T

PAY FOR IT WITHOUT EITHER

BLOWING UP THE DEFICIT OR BY

RAISING TAXES ON MIDDLE-CLASS

FAMILIES.

>> [ BOOING ]

>> DON'T BOO --

>> [ CROWD ] VOTE!

>> -- VOTE!

THEN GOVERNOR ROMNEY SAYS "I'VE

GOT A PLAN TO CREATE 12 MILLION

JOBS IN THE NEXT FOUR YEARS."

MY GUY HERE SAID "IN CHINA!"

NOW, WHEN FOLKS STARTED GOING

THROUGH THESE NUMBERS, HIS JOBS

PLAN FELL APART EVEN FASTER THAN

HIS TAX PLAN.

THE "WASHINGTON POST" CALLED IT

BAIT AND SWITCH.

BAIT AND SWITCH.

HERE IS A GUY WHO HAS A TAX PLAN

TO GIVE TAX BREAKS FOR COMPANIES

THAT ARE SHIPPING JOBS OVERSEAS.

HE HAS INVESTED IN COMPANIES

THAT ARE CALLED PIONEERS OF

OUTSOURCING.

DOES THAT SOUND LIKE A TWELVE

MILLION JOB PLAN TO YOU?

>> NO!

>> THAT'S A GOOD ANSWER.

SO HE HAS A TAX PLAN THAT

DOESN'T ADD UP, A JOBS PLAN THAT

DOESN'T CREATE JOBS, A DEFICIT

PLAN THAT DOESN'T REDUCE THE

DEFICIT.

MITT ROMNEY IS TRYING TO SELL

YOU A SKETCHY DEAL.

BUT WE'RE NOT BUYING IT.

WE KNOW BETTER, BECAUSE THIS IS

THE SAME SKETCHY DEAL THAT WE

WERE SOLD BACK IN THE PREVIOUS

ADMINISTRATION.

WE TRIED IT.

IT DIDN'T WORK!

WE'RE NOT GOING BACK!

WE'RE MOVING FORWARD!

I NEED YOU TO FINISH WHAT WE

STARTED.

THAT'S WHY I'M ASKING FOR YOUR

VOTE!

THAT'S WHY I'M RUNNING FOR A

SECOND TERM AS PRESIDENT OF THE

UNITED STATES OF AMERICA.

>> [ APPLAUSE ].

>> [ CROWD CHANTING ]

FOUR MORE YEARS, FOUR MORE

YEARS!

.

>> NOW, LAST NIGHT, THE ISSUE OF

KEEPING PROMISES CAME UP.

SO I HAD TO REMIND PEOPLE FOUR

YEARS AGO I PROMISED TO END THE

WAR IN IRAQ, AND I DID.

>> [ APPLAUSE ]

>> I SAID WE WOULD END THE WAR

IN AFGHANISTAN, AND WE ARE.

>> [ APPLAUSE ]

>> I SAID WE WOULD REFOCUS ON

THE TERRORISTS WHO ACTUALLY

ATTACKED US ON 9/11, AND BIN

LADEN IS DEAD.

>> [ APPLAUSE ].

>> FOUR YEARS AGO I PROMISED TO

CUT TAXES FOR MIDDLE-CLASS

FAMILIES, AND WE HAVE, BY

$3,600.

>> [ APPLAUSE ]

>> I PROMISED TO CUT TAXES FOR

SMALL BUSINESS OWNERS, AND WE

HAVE, 18 TIMES.

>> [ APPLAUSE ]

>> I SAID WE WOULD PUT AN END TO

TAXPAYER-FUNDED BAILOUTS.

WE GOT EVERY DIME BACK THAT WE

USED TO RESCUE THE BANKS, AND WE

PASSED LEGISLATION TO END THOSE

BAILOUTS FOR GOOD.

AS SHANNON JUST TOLD YOU, I

PROMISED TO PASS HEALTHCARE

REFORM SO YOUR INSURANCE

COMPANIES CAN'T JERK YOU AROUND,

SO THAT YOUNG PEOPLE CAN STAY ON

THEIR PARENTS' PLANS UNTIL

THEY'RE 26, SO PEOPLE WITH

PRE-EXISTING CONDITIONS DON'T

HAVE PROBLEMS, SO THAT WOMEN

DON'T GET CHARGED LIKE MEN FOR

THE SAME HEALTH INSURANCE.

I PROMISED WE WOULD REPEAL

"DON'T ASK DON'T TELL" BECAUSE

MY ATTITUDE IS ANYONE WHO IS

WILLING TO SERVE OUR MILITARY

AND SACRIFICE FOR US, IT

SHOULDN'T MATTER WHO THEY LOVE.

WHEN GOVERNOR ROMNEY SAID WE

SHOULD LET DETROIT GO BANKRUPT,

WE SAID, "THANKS BUT NO THANKS,

WE WON'T TAKE YOUR VAST BUSINESS

ADVICE."

WE'RE GOING TO SUPPORT THE AUTO

INDUSTRY.

WE'RE GOING TO BET ON AMERICAN

WORKERS,

BECAUSE WE KNEW THAT ONE IN

EIGHT OHIO JOBS IS SUPPORTED BY

THE AUTO INDUSTRY.

AND THAT INDUSTRY HAS COME

ROARING BACK, ON TOP OF THE

WORLD.

FOUR YEARS AGO, I SAID I WOULD

DO EVERYTHING I COULD EVERY

SINGLE DAY TO FILL THE HOLE WE

WERE LEFT, AND FOUR YEARS AFTER

THE WORST ECONOMIC CRISIS OF OUR

LIFETIMES, WE ARE MOVING FORWARD

AGAIN.

WE WERE LOSING 800,000 JOBS A

MONTH, NOW WE'VE ADDED 5.2

MILLION NEW JOBS, MORE

MANUFACTURING JOBS THAN SINCE

THE 1990s, THE UNEMPLOYMENT RATE

HAS FALLEN, HOME VALUES ARE ON

THE RISE, STOCK MARKET'S

DOUBLED, MANUFACTURING'S COMING

BACK, ASSEMBLY LINES ARE PUTTING

FOLKS BACK TO WORK.

THAT'S WHAT WE'VE BEEN FIGHTING

FOR!

>> [ APPLAUSE ]

>> NOW, FOR ALL THE PROGRESS

WE'VE MADE, WE'VE GOT MORE WORK

TO DO.

THERE ARE TOO MANY FOLKS OUT

THERE STILL LOOKING FOR WORK,

SO MANY FOLKS OUT THERE WHO ARE

STILL HAVING TROUBLE PAYING THE

BILLS.

AND THAT'S WHY WE'VE GOT TO KEEP

MOVING FORWARD, BUILD ON WHAT

WE'VE ALREADY DONE.

YESTERDAY I TALKED ABOUT A

CONCRETE, SPECIFIC PLAN TO

CREATE JOBS, TO CREATE MORE

SECURITY FOR THE MIDDLE CLASS.

IT STARTS, NO. 1, WITH BUILDING

ON THE MANUFACTURING PROGRESS

WE'VE ALREADY MADE.

LET'S STOP OUTSOURCING JOBS;

LET'S EXPORT PRODUCTS STAMPED

WITH THE THREE PROUD WORDS "MADE

IN AMERICA"!

THAT'S WHAT WE NEED TO DO.

SO MITT ROMNEY WANTS TO KEEP

GIVING TAX BREAKS TO THOSE

COMPANIES SHIPPING JOBS

OVERSEAS.

I WANT TO INVEST IN COMPANIES

THAT ARE BUILDING RIGHT HERE,

BUILDING PLANTS, HIRING WORKERS,

MAKING PRODUCTS IN ATHENS, IN

OHIO, IN THE UNITED STATES OF

AMERICA.

YOU CAN MAKE THAT HAPPEN.

I WANT TO CONTROL OUR OWN

ENERGY.

YOU KNOW, AFTER 30 YEARS WHERE

WE HAVEN'T DONE ANYTHING, WE ARE

NOW GOING TO BE PRODUCING CARS

THAT BY THE MIDDLE OF THE NEXT

DECADE WILL GO TWICE AS FAR ON A

GALLON OF GAS, WHICH MEANS IT

SAVES YOU MONEY AND ALSO MEANS

WE'RE REDUCING OUR DEPENDENCE ON

FOREIGN OIL, AND WE'RE ALSO

INVESTING IN THE ENERGY SOURCES

OF TOMORROW.

WIND AND SOLAR AND BIOFUELS,

CLEAN COAL TECHNOLOGY.

YOU KNOW, TODAY AMERICA IS LESS

DEPENDENT ON FOREIGN OIL THAN AT

ANY TIME IN TWO DECADES.

GOVERNOR ROMNEY WANTS TO REVERSE

THIS PROGRESS; WE WANT TO BUILD

ON IT.

YOU KNOW, WE GIVE $4 BILLION A

YEAR TO OIL COMPANIES.

CORPORATE WELFARE.

YOU PAY FOR IT.

THEY'RE ALREADY MAKING MONEY

EVERY TIME YOU GO TO THE PUMP.

SO I'M SAYING LET'S TAKE THAT

MONEY, I DON'T WANT CHINA TO WIN

THE RACE FOR NEW TECHNOLOGIES

AND NEW ENERGY.

LET'S INVEST HERE IN THE UNITED

STATES!

AND BY THE WAY, WE CAN, BY DOING

THIS, WE CAN ALSO REDUCE THE

PROBLEM OF CARBON POLLUTION, AND

WE CAN STILL INVEST IN CLEAN

COAL TECHNOLOGY.

I WAS LISTENING TO GOVERNOR

ROMNEY YESTERDAY TALK ABOUT HOW

HE'S A CHAMPION OF COAL.

WHEN HE WAS A GOVERNOR, STOOD IN

FRONT OF A COAL FIRE PLANT AND

SAID "THIS PLANT KILLS PEOPLE,"

AND NOW HE'S RUNNING AROUND

TALKING LIKE HE'S MR. COAL.

COME ON!

COME ON!

YOU KNOW THAT'S NOT ON THE

LEVEL!

DID ANYBODY ACTUALLY LOOK AT

THAT GUY AND SAY, "MAN, HE'S

REALLY INTO COAL"?

DID YOU SEE WHEN HE DID THAT AD,

HE WAS IN FRONT OF ALL OF THESE

MINERS WITH HARD HATS, FOUND OUT

LATER THEY HAD TO COME, BOSS

MADE THEM COME?

COME ON.

GOT TO BE ON THE LEVEL IF YOU

WANT TO BE PRESIDENT OF THE

UNITED STATES.

>> [ APPLAUSE ].

>> I WANT TO GIVE MORE AMERICANS

A CHANCE TO LEARN THE SKILLS

THEY NEED IN THE 21ST CENTURY

ECONOMY.

YOU KNOW, LOOK, I'M ONLY HERE

BECAUSE I GOT A GOOD EDUCATION.

I WASN'T BORN INTO FAME OR

FORTUNE.

NOBODY WAS SAYING, "BOY, THAT

GUY, BARACK OBAMA, HE'S GOING TO

BE PRESIDENT SOMEDAY."

BUT I GOT A GREAT EDUCATION!

MY MOM WAS A SINGLE MOM, SHE WAS

WORKING HER WAY THROUGH SCHOOL

TRYING TO RAISE ME AND MY

SISTER, BUT, BUT IN AMERICA, WE

GIVE EVERYBODY AN OPPORTUNITY.

THAT'S WHAT THIS COUNTRY'S

ABOUT!

>> [ APPLAUSE ]

>> AND I'VE NEVER FORGOTTEN

THAT.

SO ONE OF THE FIRST THINGS WE

DID WAS TO MAKE SURE: LET'S

STOP GIVING BANKS AND LENDERS

BILLIONS OF DOLLARS AS MIDDLEMEN

FOR THE STUDENT LOAN PROGRAM.

LET'S CUT OUT THE MIDDLE MAN AND

GIVE THE MONEY DIRECTLY TO

STUDENTS!

>> [ APPLAUSE ]

>> THAT'S HOW WE KEPT YOUR

STUDENT LOAN INTEREST RATES LOW.

THAT'S HOW WE EXPANDED PEL

GRANTS.

THAT'S HOW WE SET UP A SYSTEM

WHERE STUDENTS, IF THEY HAVE

DEBT, THEY'RE NEVER GOING TO

HAVE TO PAY MORE THAN 10% OF

THEIR INCOME IF THEY CHOOSE TO

BECOME A TEACHER OR DO SOMETHING

THAT DOESN'T PAY A LOT OF MONEY,

THEY CAN STILL MANAGE THE DEBT

FROM GETTING AN OUTSTANDING

EDUCATION.

>> [ APPLAUSE ].

>> SO NOW YOU'VE GOT A CHOICE,

OHIO.

GOVERNOR ROMNEY, HE SAYS HIRING

MORE TEACHERS -- THAT DOESN'T

HELP THE ECONOMY GROW.

YOU KNOW WHAT?

HE'S WRONG.

IT WILL.

AND THINK ABOUT ALL THOSE KIDS

RIGHT NOW WHO ARE IN OVERCROWDED

CLASSROOMS OR DON'T HAVE A

COMPUTER SCIENCE LAB.

THEY'RE ONLY GOING TO BE IN

THIRD GRADE ONCE, OR JUNIORS IN

HIGH SCHOOL ONCE.

IF THEY MISS THOSE OPPORTUNITIES

NOW, THEY MAY NOT MAKE IT UP

LATER.

SO WE COULD, YOU KNOW, YOU CAN

TAKE GOVERNOR ROMNEY'S ADVICE

AND GIVE A $5 TRILLION TAX CUT

AND PAY FOR IT BY CUTTING

EDUCATION, OR -- DON'T BOO!

VOTE! -- OR WE CAN -- WE CAN

RECRUIT A HUNDRED THOUSAND NEW

MATH AND SCIENCE TEACHERS, PUT

THEM TO WORK RIGHT NOW.

THAT'S WHERE THE JOBS ARE OF THE

FUTURE.

IT SHOULD BE A NATIONAL MISSION

TO MAKE SURE THAT ALL OF OUR

YOUNG PEOPLE ARE GETTING AN

EDUCATION IN SOME OF THESE

FIELDS WHERE WE KNOW THERE ARE

GOING TO BE JOBS, AND BY THE

WAY, WE WANT OUR SONS IN THERE,

BUT WE ALSO WANT OUR DAUGHTERS.

>> [ APPLAUSE ].

>> I DON'T KNOW IF YOU WERE

LISTENING LAST NIGHT, BUT, SEE,

WE DON'T HAVE TO ORDER UP SOME

BINDERS.

>> [ LAUGHTER ]

>> TO FIND QUALIFIED, TALENTED,

DRIVEN YOUNG WOMEN TO LEARN AND

TEACH AND THRIVE.

>> [ APPLAUSE ]

>> AND WHEN THESE YOUNG WOMEN

GRADUATE, WE SHOULD MAKE A VERY

SIMPLE CONCEPT THE RULE: EQUAL

PAY FOR EQUAL WORK.

>> [ APPLAUSE ]

>> EQUAL PAY FOR EQUAL WORK.

I'VE GOT TWO DAUGHTERS.

I DON'T WANT THEM PAID LESS THAN

A MAN FOR DOING THE SAME JOB!

>> [ APPLAUSE ]

>> AND, BY THE WAY, MEN OUT

THERE, YOU DON'T WANT YOUR WIVES

PAID LESS THAN A MAN FOR THE

SAME JOB!

>> [ APPLAUSE ]

>> SO THIS ISN'T JUST A WOMEN'S

ISSUE; THIS IS A FAMILY ISSUE.

THIS IS A MIDDLE-CLASS ISSUE.

GOVERNOR ROMNEY FOR MONTHS

REFUSED TO SAY IF HE WOULD

SUPPORT THE LAW THAT WE SIGNED

THAT SAID EQUAL PAY FOR EQUAL

WORK.

JUST TODAY HIS CAMPAIGN

ADMITTED, WELL, HE'S NEVER

WEIGHED IN ON THAT.

WHY NOT?

WHAT'S SO HARD ABOUT WEIGHING IN

ON THAT?

DO YOU BELIEVE IN EQUAL PAY FOR

EQUAL WORK, OR YOU DON'T?

I WEIGHED IN ON IT BECAUSE THAT

WAS THE FIRST BILL THAT I

SIGNED, THE LILLY LEDBETTER ACT

TO ENFORCE EQUAL PAY FOR EQUAL

WORK!

I WANT TO TAKE SOME OF THE MONEY

THAT WE ARE SAVING FROM ENDING

THE WAR IN IRAQ AND

TRANSITIONING IN AFGHANISTAN TO

PAY DOWN OUR DEFICIT AND PUT OUR

FOLKS TO WORK RIGHT HERE DOING

SOME NATION BUILDING HERE AT

HOME, BUILDING ROADS AND BRIDGES

AND SCHOOLS.

>> [ APPLAUSE ]

>> AT THE NEXT DEBATE ON MONDAY,

IT WILL BE ABOUT FOREIGN POLICY.

IT WILL BE INTERESTING WHAT

GOVERNOR ROMNEY HAS TO SAY.

YEAH, HE SAID HE THOUGHT IT WAS

TRAGIC, THE WAY WE ENDED THE WAR

IN IRAQ, SAID TO DOUBLE DOWN ON

THIS, SAID WE SHOULD STILL HAVE

TROOPS IN IRAQ, JUST SAID THIS A

COUPLE OF WEEKS AGO.

I THINK THAT WAS A MISTAKE.

I THINK BRINGING OUR TROOPS HOME

AFTER ALL THE SACRIFICES THEY'VE

MADE IN A DISTANT COUNTRY, ALL

THE SACRIFICES THEIR FAMILIES

HAVE MADE, IT IS TIME TO MAKE

SURE THAT WE'RE DOING SOME

NATION BUILDING HERE AT HOME.

THAT'S WHAT I BELIEVE.

>> [ APPLAUSE ].

>> AND WHEN OUR TROOPS DO COME

HOME AND TAKE OFF THOSE

UNIFORMS, THEY NEED TO KNOW AS

LONG AS I'M YOUR COMMANDER IN

CHIEF, WE WILL SUSTAIN THE

STRONGEST MILITARY IN THE WORLD,

AND WE WILL ALSO MAKE SURE THOSE

TROOPS GET SERVED AS WELL AS

THEY SERVED US.

>> [ APPLAUSE ]

>> YOU KNOW, NOBODY WHO FOUGHT

FOR THIS COUNTRY SHOULD EVER

HAVE TO FIGHT FOR A JOB OR A

ROOF OVER THEIR HEADS OR THE

HEALTHCARE THEY'VE EARNED WHEN

THEY COME HOME.

THAT SHOULDN'T HAPPEN.

THAT SHOULDN'T HAPPEN.

>> [ APPLAUSE ].

>> AND FINALLY, WE NEED TO CUT

THE DEFICIT AND THE DEBT, AND I

KNOW THEY PUT UP A LOT OF ADS.

THEY THINK THAT YOU'VE FORGOTTEN

THE FACT THAT THEY FOUGHT TWO

WARS ON A CREDIT CARD AND TWO

TAX CUTS ON A CREDIT CARD,

DIDN'T PAY FOR ANYTHING, SAID

THE DEFICIT DIDN'T MATTER.

THEY'RE LIKE THE GUY WHO SHOWS

UP AT A RESTAURANT, ORDERS A BIG

STEAK, HAS A BIG DRINK, ORDERS A

BIG PIECE OF PIE, THEN LEAVES

BEFORE PAYING THE TAB.

AND THEN THEY SAY, "BUT LOOK,

LOOK, LOOK AT WHAT OBAMA DID!"

YOU ALL HAD NOTHING TO DO WITH

IT!

BUT LOOK, WE'VE GOT TO DO

SOMETHING ABOUT IT.

SO WHAT I'VE SAID, LOOK, I'VE

ALREADY WORKED WITH REPUBLICANS

AND DEMOCRATS TO CUT A TRILLION

DOLLARS IN SPENDING.

I'M READY TO DO MORE.

BUT WE CAN'T GET IT DONE JUST BY

CUTTING EDUCATION PROGRAMS OR

BASICALLY RESEARCH PROGRAMS THAT

HELP US GROW OUR ECONOMY.

IF WE'RE DOING SOME CUTTING,

LET'S ALSO MAKE SURE THE

WEALTHIEST HOUSEHOLDS PAY LITTLE

BIT MORE, PAY HIGHER TAXES AFTER

YOUR FIRST $250,000 WORTH OF

INCOME.

GO BACK TO THE RATES BILL

CLINTON HAD WHEN WE CREATED 23

MILLION NEW JOBS, WHEN WE WENT

FROM DEFICIT TO SURPLUS.

>> [ APPLAUSE ]

>> GOVERNOR ROMNEY HAS SOME

DIFFERENT IDEAS.

HE WAS ASKED ON "60 MINUTES",

SOME OF YOU MAY HAVE SEEN THIS,

"IS IT FAIR FOR YOU MAKING $20

MILLION A YEAR TO PAY A LOWER

TAX RATE THAN A TEACHER MAKING

$50,000?"

WELL, THAT'S YOUR ANSWER, BUT

THAT'S NOT HIS ANSWER, HE SAID,

"YES, I THINK THAT'S FAIR.

THAT'S HOW YOU GROW AN ECONOMY.

THAT'S HOW WE ALLOCATE CAPITAL."

I ACTUALLY THINK IT'S NOT FAIR,

ESPECIALLY WHEN WE'VE GOT TO

REDUCE THE DEFICIT, AND I'M NOT

GOING TO ASK MIDDLE-CLASS

FAMILIES TO GIVE UP THEIR

DEDUCTIONS FOR OWNING A HOME OR

RAISING THEIR KIDS JUST TO PAY

FOR ANOTHER MILLIONAIRE'S TAX

CUT, OR MAKING MORE KIDS PAY

MORE FOR COLLEGE OR KICKING KIDS

OFF HEADSTART OR IMPACTING THE

POOR OR ELDERLY OR DISABLED.

I'M NOT GOING TO TURN MEDICARE

INTO A VOUCHER SYSTEM.

WE'RE NOT GOING TO PRIVATIZE

SOCIAL SECURITY!

>> [ APPLAUSE ]

>> WE'VE GOT TO MAKE CHOICES.

LET'S MAKE SURE EVERYBODY HAS TO

MAKE SOME SACRIFICES.

NOT JUST A FEW.

THAT'S THE CHOICE YOU'VE GOT TO

MAKE IN THIS ELECTION.

OUR OPPONENTS, YOU KNOW, THEY

ALWAYS TELL US, "WELL,

GOVERNMENT CAN'T DO EVERYTHING.

YOU WANT TRICKLE DOWN

GOVERNMENT."

THAT'S THE PHRASE HE'S BEEN

USING.

NO, I DON'T.

I BELIEVE IN FREE ENTERPRISE, I

BELIEVE THE YOUNG PEOPLE HERE

ARE GOING TO HAVE TO WORK FOR

THEIR SUCCESS, THEY'LL HAVE TO

EARN IT, I DON'T BELIEVE IN

HANDOUTS, BUT I ALSO BELIEVE IN

A COUNTRY WHERE EVERYBODY'S GOT

A SHOT.

>> [ APPLAUSE ]

>> WHERE EVERYBODY HAS AN

OPPORTUNITY.

THESE FOLKS, THEY'VE GOT A

"YOU'RE ON YOUR OWN" PHILOSOPHY.

"CAN'T AFFORD HEALTH INSURANCE?

HOPE YOU DON'T GET SICK!

CAN'T AFFORD TO START A BUSINESS

OR GO TO COLLEGE?

BORROW MONEY FROM YOUR PARENTS."

>> [ YELLING FROM THE CROWD ]

>> THAT'S NOT WHAT BUILT THIS

COUNTRY.

I TALKED LAST NIGHT ABOUT THE

FACT THAT MY GRANDFATHER, YOU

KNOW, HE FOUGHT IN PATTON'S ARMY

IN WORLD WAR II.

HE HADN'T GONE TO COLLEGE.

RIGHT OUT OF HIGH SCHOOL, HE

JOINED THE ARMY.

PART OF THAT GREATEST

GENERATION.

WHEN HE CAME HOME, HE WAS GIVEN

THE G.I. BILL, A CHANCE TO GO TO

COLLEGE.

AND THAT WASN'T A HANDOUT, THAT

WASN'T JUST GOOD FOR HIM; THAT

WAS GOOD FOR THE WHOLE COUNTRY.

BECAUSE SUDDENLY THE WHOLE

COUNTRY GOT A BETTER EDUCATION,

AND THE WHOLE COUNTRY SAW ITS

INCOMES RISE, THE WHOLE COUNTRY

SAW BUSINESSES GROW.

THE WHOLE COUNTRY PROSPERED.

THE WHOLE COUNTRY SUCCEEDED.

THAT'S THE AMERICA WE BELIEVE

IN!

WE BELIEVE IN DOING THINGS FOR

OURSELVES, BUT WE ALSO BELIEVE

IN DOING SOME THINGS TOGETHER TO

MAKE SURE THIS COUNTRY SUCCEEDS!

>> [ APPLAUSE ]

>> AND THAT'S WHAT THE LAST

CAMPAIGN WAS ABOUT IN 2008;

THAT'S WHAT THIS ONE IS ABOUT.

BUT IT ONLY HAPPENS BECAUSE OF

YOU.

WE HAVE PEOPLE IN TOLEDO WHO

LOST HIS JOB BUT IS BACK ON THE

LINE BUILDING CARS.

YOU DID THAT.

YOU HERE AT OHIO UNIVERSITY CAN

GET SOME HELP PAYING FOR

COLLEGE.

YOU'RE THE REASON WHY A VETERAN

COMING HOME SUDDENLY HAS GOT A

NEW G.I. BILL THAT ALLOWS THEM

TO HAVE A BRIGHTER FUTURE.

YOU'RE THE REASON SOME YOUNG

IMMIGRANT WHO GREW UP HERE AND

PLEDGES ALLEGIANCE TO OUR FLAG

IS NOT GOING TO BE DEPORTED FROM

THE ONLY COUNTRY SHE'S EVER

KNOWN.

>> [ APPLAUSE ]

>> YOU'RE THE REASON THAT THOSE

WHO SERVED US SO BRAVELY CAN

FINALLY HEAR THOSE MAGIC WORDS

AND HUG THEIR LOVED ONES AND

HEAR THEM SAY "WELCOME HOME.

WELCOME HOME.

WELCOME HOME.

WELCOME HOME."

>> [ APPLAUSE ]

>> THAT HAPPENED BECAUSE OF YOU.

AND ONLY YOU'VE GOT THE POWER TO

KEEP US MOVING FORWARD.

I CAN'T DO IT BY MYSELF.

I NEED YOU!

I'M ONLY IN WASHINGTON BECAUSE

OF YOU!

SO YOU CAN CHOOSE THE OTHER GUY,

WHO WANTS TO REINSTITUTE THE

TOP-DOWN POLICIES THAT GOT US

INTO THIS MESS, OR YOU CAN HELP

US MOVE FORWARD, WITH THE

POLICIES THAT ARE GETTING US OUT

OF THIS MESS.

YOU CAN CHOOSE THE FOREIGN

POLICY THAT GOT US INTO WARS

WITH NO PLAN OF GETTING OUT, OR

YOU CAN SAY NO, WE'RE GOING TO

TURN THE PAGE.

WE'RE GOING TO END THE AFGHAN

WAR RESPONSIBLY.

WE'RE GOING TO BRING OUR TROOPS

HOME.

WE'RE GOING TO FOCUS ON THE

TERRORISTS WHO ACTUALLY DO US

HARM.

YOU CAN TURN BACK THE CLOCK FOR

20 YEARS OF RIGHTS FOR WOMEN,

LESBIANS, AND GAYS, OR YOU CAN

SAY, "NO, I WANT TO MOVE

FORWARD."

>> [ APPLAUSE ]

>> IN THIS ELECTION, YOU CAN

SAY: I WANT AMERICA TO REMAIN A

COUNTRY WHERE NO MATTER WHAT YOU

LOOK LIKE, NO MATTER WHERE YOU

COME FROM, NO MATTER WHO YOU

ARE, WHO YOU LOVE, BLACK, WHITE,

HISPANIC, ASIAN, NATIVE

AMERICAN, GAY, STRAIGHT, ABLE,

DISABLED -- IT DOESN'T MATTER.

WE'RE ALL AMERICANS, AND WE'RE

GOING TO MOVE FORWARD.

THAT'S WHAT'S AT STAKE IN THIS

ELECTION.

THAT'S WHY I'M ASKING FOR YOUR

VOTE.

THAT'S WHY I'M HERE TODAY, OHIO!

I BELIEVE IN YOU AND I NEED YOU

TO KEEP ON BELIEVING IN ME SO I

CAN FINISH THE JOB THAT WE

STARTED!

AND IF WE WIN, AND IF YOU'RE

WILLING TO MAKE SOME PHONE CALLS

AND KNOCK ON SOME DOORS WITH ME,

WE'LL WIN OHIO AGAIN, WE'LL WIN

THIS ELECTION AGAIN, WE'LL

FINISH WHAT WE STARTED.

WE'LL REMIND THE WORLD WHY THE

UNITED STATES OF AMERICA IS THE

GREATEST NATION ON EARTH.

THANK YOU, OHIO.

I LOVE YOU!

>> [ APPLAUSE ]

[ CROWD CHEERING ]

\M.

>> [ CROWD CHANTING ]

FOUR MORE YEARS, FOUR MORE

YEARS!


Comments are posted from viewers like you and do not always reflect the views of this station.
powered by Disqus
TheNewsCenter One Television Plaza Parkersburg, WV. 26101 304-485-4588
Copyright © 2002-2014 - Designed by Gray Digital Media - Powered by Clickability 174794241 - thenewscenter.tv/a?a=174794241
Gray Television, Inc.