WVU Grad Student Ok After Chemical Spill

By: Associated Press
By: Associated Press

Morgantown, W.Va. (AP) -- A brief scare at the Health Sciences Center at West Virginia University was triggered by a graduate student who dropped a bottle of a chemical called phenol in a second-floor lab.

Spokeswoman Amy Johns said Tuesday the unidentified student was treated for minor burns on her leg, but there were no other injuries.

The second floor of Health Sciences North was briefly evacuated Monday night while fire officials cleaned up the spill.

Phenol is used in disinfectants and antiseptics, and in preparations such as mouthwash and throat lozenges.

The agency for toxic substances and disease registry says short-term exposure can cause respiratory irritation, headaches and burning eyes.

The accident occurred on the first day of the fall semester.

(Copyright 2009 by the Associated Press. All rights reserved.)


Comments are posted from viewers like you and do not always reflect the views of this station.
powered by Disqus
TheNewsCenter One Television Plaza Parkersburg, WV. 26101 304-485-4588
Gray Television, Inc. - Copyright © 2002-2014 - Designed by Gray Digital Media - Powered by Clickability 54831497 - thenewscenter.tv/a?a=54831497