TheNewsCenter | Parkersburg, West Virginia | News, Weather & Sports

Update: 2nd Lawsuit Filed Over Leak At W.Va. Hotel

By: Mollie Lair Email
By: Mollie Lair Email

CHARLESTON, W.Va. (AP) - A man who claims a carbon monoxide leak left him with health problems is suing a West Virginia hotel and several other companies.

It's the second lawsuit filed in Kanawha County Circuit Court over the Jan. 31 leak at the Holiday Inn Express Hotels Suite in South Charleston. The other case was filed by the widow of a Rhode Island man who was killed by the leak.

The Charleston Daily Mail reports that the latest lawsuit was filed by Bain Edmondson and his wife, Dawn Edmondson.

Investigators say an exhaust pipe became dislodged due to improper installation of a heating unit for the hotel's swimming pool.

A Holiday Inn Express spokeswoman declined to comment on the lawsuits.

(Copyright 2012 by The Associated Press. All Rights Reserved.)


UPDATED: 3/16/2012

CHARLESTON, W.Va. (AP) - A hotel and a swimming pool company in West Virginia are being sued by the widow of a Rhode Island man who was killed by a carbon monoxide leak.

The lawsuit claims Holiday Inn Express Hotels Suites in South Charleston and Premier Pools of Charleston acted in reckless disregard for public health and safety. Several other companies also are defendants.

The Jan. 31 leak killed Moran's husband, William Moran of Warwick, R.I., and sickened several other people. Investigators say an exhaust pipe became dislodged due to improper installation of a heating unit for the hotel's swimming pool.

An attorney for Premier Pools says the manager maintains he didn't do anything that would have caused the pipe to become dislodged.

Holiday Inn representatives declined to comment.

(Copyright 2012 by The Associated Press. All Rights Reserved.)


Updated 4:30 PM 2/21/2012

SOUTH CHARLESTON, W.Va. (AP) - An investigation into a fatal
carbon monoxide leak at a South Charleston hotel has found that the
leak stemmed from the improper installation of a heating unit for
its swimming pool.

Fire Department Capt. Virgil White said in a report released
Tuesday that a pool company that installed the heater at the
Holiday Inn Express pool manipulated an exhaust pipe when workers
installed the unit around 2002. The report also said the pipe was
further compromised during the installation of the unit's
replacement in December.

The report obtained by media outlets said the vibration of the
unit's water-filtration system dislodged the exhaust pipe, creating
buildup of the fatal fumes.

A Rhode Island man was found dead Jan. 31 in his room, and 17
others were injured.

(Copyright 2012 by The Associated Press. All Rights Reserved.)

UPDATE 10:46 PM

The incident was reported about 10:30 Tuesday morning at the Holiday Inn Express off Corridor G in South Charleston.

Officials from Rosciti Construction say worker William Moran of Warwick, R.I., was killed from carbon monoxide poisoning at the hotel.
In total, five Rosciti workers were affected.

Three of the five are being treated in hyperbaric chambers.

Firefighters say the source of the leak is a gas pump used to heat the hotel pool. According to firefighters the leak happened near the room where Moran died.

As soon as the high levels of carbon monoxide were detected the hotel was evacuated

Emergency crews measured CO levels at 1,200 parts per million at the source of the leak. According to Fire Captain Virgil White one breath from a level that high will kill you.

In the affected rooms the readings were anywhere from 300 parts per million to 600 parts per million, levels which are still deadly.

Now CO levels have fallen to zero, according to the South Charleston Fire Department.

There is no law requiring carbon monoxide detectors in West Virginia hotels.
______________________________________________________

According to our sister station WSAZ, officials from Rosciti Construction say worker William Moran of Warwick, R.I., was killed from carbon monoxide poisoning at the Holiday Inn Express.

In total, five Rosciti workers were affected. Three of the five are being treated in hyperbaric chambers. Rosciti Officials also say the men were working in Charleston on a government project at the National Guard at Yeager Airport.

Firefighters say the source of the leak is a gas pump used to heat the hotel pool. The pump is located on the ground floor, but piping goes to the top of the building.

The incident was reported about 10:30 a.m. Tuesday at the Holiday Inn Express off Corridor G in South Charleston.

According to firefighters the leak happened near the room where the man died. As soon as the high levels of carbon monoxide were detected the hotel was evacuated.

About 10 to 15 people were inside the hotel at the time.

There is no law requiring carbon monoxide detectors in West Virginia hotels.


Comments are posted from viewers like you and do not always reflect the views of this station.
powered by Disqus
TheNewsCenter One Television Plaza Parkersburg, WV. 26101 304-485-4588
Gray Television, Inc. - Copyright © 2002-2014 - Designed by Gray Digital Media - Powered by Clickability 138448219