Munich (AP) -- A Munich Court says it expects to decide in late August at the earliest whether to put John Demjanjuk on trial, and when.
Prosecutors last week charged the 89-year-old as an accessory to the murder of 27,900 people at the Sobibor Death Camp in Nazi-occupied Poland.
The Munich State Court must now decide whether to accept the charges -- usually a formality -- and set a trial date.
A court statement Tuesday says the defense has six weeks to respond to the charges and it does not expect to make the decision before the end of August.
Demjanjuk maintains he was a Red Army soldier who was held as a prisoner of war and never hurt anyone.
The retired auto worker arrived in Munich from his suburban Cleveland home in May after losing a court battle to avoid deportation from the U.S.
(Copyright 2009 by The Associated Press. All rights Reserved.)
Viewers with disabilities can get assistance accessing this station's FCC Public Inspection File by contacting the station with the information listed below. Questions or concerns relating to the accessibility of the FCC's online public file system should be directed to the FCC at 888-225-5322, 888-835-5322 (TTY), or firstname.lastname@example.org.