As people across the valley turn up their heaters this cold winter, the Ohio State Fire Marshal's Office is reminding residents to be aware of potential-fire hazards.
Officials say to only re-fuel heaters outside your home or apartment.
The Fire Marshall's Office adds that appliances that give-off smoke or sparks should be repaired or replaced, and they say never connect generators to another power source.
We like to remind area residents that they should be looking at the supplemental heat that they may be using such as a fireplace, electric or kerosene heaters. We like to keep a good 2 foot distance around those from any flammable objects that maybe on the ground or nearby," says Marietta Fire Captain, Jack Hansis.
In case of a power outage, Captain Hansis says turn off your electrical appliances.
Viewers with disabilities can get assistance accessing this station's FCC Public Inspection File by contacting the station with the information listed below. Questions or concerns relating to the accessibility of the FCC's online public file system should be directed to the FCC at 888-225-5322, 888-835-5322 (TTY), or firstname.lastname@example.org.