The colorless, odorless gas can make its way into your home.
We are talking about carbon monoxide.
State officials say the visits to emergency rooms and poison control centers are already higher than usual
Marietta Fire Chief C.W. Durham says he is not surprised; however, this just means people need to remember to have a detector on each level of their house and make sure to check the batteries.
"Symptoms cause range anything from sickness, illness throughout the whole family to, death within a matter of minutes depending on the level of carbon monoxide and the source where it is coming from," he says.
Chief Durham says any type of gas burning in your home can cause carbon monoxide, such as your heating system or a gas oven.
He says never, ever let your car run inside your garage, even with the door open, because it's dangerous.
He says always pull the car outside before leaving it on to warm up.
Viewers with disabilities can get assistance accessing this station's FCC Public Inspection File by contacting the station with the information listed below. Questions or concerns relating to the accessibility of the FCC's online public file system should be directed to the FCC at 888-225-5322, 888-835-5322 (TTY), or email@example.com.