Valley Storm Report

By: WTAP News
By: WTAP News
More Video...

UPDATE: 7/16/12 1:00PM

FIRST ENERGY reported outages:
First Energy reports all of its Wood county customers have power.
First Energy reports Ritchie, Pleasants and Calhoun counties have less than five customers each without power related to the June 29th derecho.

The Annual Broughton's Ice Cream Social for this weekend July 8th has been changed to July 22. Time remains the same from 2 to 6 pm. at the Washington County Fairgrounds. All tickets are good and will be honored that day.

If you would like to volunteer, the Red Cross could use your help. Volunteers are needed in Parkerburg, Charleston, Lewisburg and Martinsburg. Call 304-5391056 and ask for Heather Foster.

The WV DHHR has issued a Boil Water Advisory for residents who experienced no water, or have low water pressure, or cloudy water. Residents are advised to boil water vigorously (rolling boil) for at least one minute before consumption. This Boil Water Advisory is in effect for those customers until further notice.

• by Beth on Jul 16, 2012 at 08:00 AM
    I can't believe there is still people without electric. Praying for those still left in the heat! But these people can't be THAT far out to where it takes over 17 days to restore... Craziness. I hope there are no little ones or elderly!
  • by Didn't hit a nerve Location: Wood co. on Jul 14, 2012 at 04:41 PM
    Ok "hit a nerve" I didn't complain once about the storm. I was prepared with deer meat I harvested and canned vegetables I grew in my garden. I'm as backwards and self sufficient as they come. I could survive with no power for the rest of my life. I also provided for most of my neighbors who lost food. I don't think anyone should bad mouth any other person. Yes of course people are Whiney but it's how they were raised. I was very blessed growing up having everything I needed and great parents how taught me to live off the land. Have fun finding anyplace better than the MOV to live. I travel weekly across the US for work and there are lots worse places and people than here. Best of luck "hit a nerve"
  • by William Location: Decatur Twp Ohio on Jul 13, 2012 at 10:21 PM
    We just returned from a two week vacation and are in the middle of our clean up from the power outage. Does anyone know if there are still dumpsters for spoiled food?
  • by Hit a nerve? on Jul 13, 2012 at 01:01 PM
    I don't think "not so" was trying to be snide. Sounds like he was trying to tell you that there are places providing on going help. Of course ice melts, that's why you go get more. The point he was making is most folks in rural areas have less access to nearly everything, yet when something bad happens, they pull together and make it through without much complaint. I'm not in Ritchie Co. but I say good for them. It's good to know there are still areas out there that can pull together instead of whine and complain and expect everything to be done for them. Sounds like he must have hit the nail on the head by your snide remarks back to him. I'm actually considering moving from this thankless, poor me, no one done anything for me, place. I for one am ashamed of the way my town has reacted. Grow up folks, it's not the rest of the worlds job to take care of us. If they are offering to give us stuff, we complain that we need to go get it. I'm sure if they bring it to your doorstep, you'd complain they didn't bring it in your house. Again, I say good job to the "backward" folks of Ritchie county. Maybe a good place to move to, especially since we now know they have heart and the backbone to take care of themselves and each other. Such a shame we can't do that here. Makes us look like a bunch of whiny fools.
  • by MW Location: Mineral Wells on Jul 13, 2012 at 10:46 AM
    According to the Mineral Wells Public Service District, the boil advisory there was lifted 2 days ago (7/11). It still shows in the information on this story. Please update it so that people don't get incorrect info. Thanks.
  • by "Not so" Location: Wood County on Jul 12, 2012 at 08:27 PM
    Ok "not so". I'm so glad you were prepared for this. No one can prepare for the power being out for weeks. Ice melts, especially in 115 degree heat indexes. Did they not teach you that in the Ritchie county schools? No one is bashing Ritchie County so relax! I have been very pleased how the community pulled together to endure this minor inconvenience. No one is saying wood county deserves more attention than your precious Ritchie County. Keep your snide remarks in Ritchie County.
  • by Not so on Jul 12, 2012 at 09:17 AM
    I live in fairly remote southern Ritchie county. We have had both red cross and national guard. They have delivered to the area fire departments to disperse ice, water and MREs. Please do not say they are no where, just because you haven't seen them. Alot of the time the national guard are going house to house as well. So unless there is some medical reason you are unable, why would you not take your butt to one of the areas handing out provisions? I know the first week, there was ice and water being given out at lowes. I'm quite sure there are other places as well. Surely our backward, butt of all jokes, Ritchie county is not better prepared, and more self sufficient than your wonderful wood county.....
  • by Margie Location: Parkersburg on Jul 11, 2012 at 07:55 AM
    I am so glad someone posted there was no help from fema,red cross,national guard or any other goverment agents. I don't care what they report I sure didn't see any help offered and I live less than a mile from town.
  • by MOVman on Jul 10, 2012 at 07:13 PM
    The point that everyone is missing is that we are not blaming it on the linesmen, but on the power company who were woefully unprepared for an emergency. They have cut the local crews back 50% from 10 years ago, had very limited stocks of poles and transformers, and have cut right-of-way maintenance back to almost nothing which caused 80% of the problems with this storm so......YES I AM BLAMING THE POWER COMPANY!!
      by Lineman on Jul 11, 2012 at 05:46 PM in reply to MOVman
      Hey,this storm packed a double punch !! Things would not have been so bad but our neighboring states got hit by the storm as well !! We usually wotk with our neighboring states amd help each other back and forth,so without help of our neighboring states we had to go to states as far away as Texas,Massachussets, Illinois and Canada for help. Now it takes a good 2 days to get a bucket truck from Texas to WV and then it takes a while to get the troops on the ground,with that said I think we done a pretty good job,if you know of a better way please let me know and I will pass it along.
      by speak/up on Jul 12, 2012 at 07:03 AM in reply to MOVman
      I agree completely, it is not the fault of the individual repair men and women, however I do think that the corporations have dropped the ball on maintenance. I've lived in my area for 7 years right next to a major ride of way and have NEVER seen any maintenance of the trees. For what we pay for utilities one would expect more.
  • by putt-putt on Jul 10, 2012 at 06:32 PM
    I would like to thank all the people that has help get our power back on. AND is still working 16 hour day to get everyones power on. we just got or back at 730pm tonight. I've not seen some of my family for 11 days becouse they have been helping get the power back on. So I hope that power is restored to everyone soon, so I can see them. remeber this could have worse then this.
Copyright © 2002-2015 - Designed by Gray Digital Media - Powered by Clickability 160899715 - thenewscenter.tv/a?a=160899715