Students at PHS Allowed to Return to Class

By: Bruce Layman Email
By: Bruce Layman Email

Wood County Schools Superintendent Bill Niday tells WTAP-TV that Parkersburg High School students are returning to classes, following a bomb threat targeting the school that was called in to the Wood County 911 Center Tuesday morning.

The second threat in two days was called in to the 911 Center at 11:40 am Tuesday.

At 12:05 pm, Parkersburg High School confirmed to WTAP-TV that students were gathering in the Field House.

School officials are discouraging parents and legal guardians from picking up students at an information center at the corner of 20th Street and Dudley Avenue. Parents do have the option, though, to do so.

WTAP-TV continues to cover this story and expect to have much more on WTAP at Five, WTAP News at Six and here on our web channel at WTAP.com.


You must be logged in to post comments.

Username:
Password (case sensitive):
Remember Me:

Read Comments

Comments are posted from viewers like you and do not always reflect the views of this station.
  • by concern location on Sep 9, 2008 at 02:20 PM
    To the individual or individuals If you think what you are doing is a joke or just for fun. Then you are saddly mistaken. No! one! laughing.
  • by NotOnList Location: P-burg,WV on Sep 9, 2008 at 02:13 PM
    I've changed my opinion...now, I want to THANK THIS WANNA-BE BOMBER(S). If it wasn't for this incident I would not have known (1) *ICE* Teachers will only dismiss your kid IF THEY CHOOSE TO. My child was called out SEVERAL TIMES AND THEN TOLD TO STAY.(2) Staff is more likely to dismiss your child if YOU ARE A PROMINENT PERSON IN THE MOV--like a doctor's kid or WCS employee. (3)If your child is in the Field House or Planetarium they cannot be reached. (4) Staff still believes that cell phones hinder communication between radios &/or will detonate a "bomb". (5) Despite staff still getting paid to be there and tolerate this mess parents lose money SO STAFF DOES NOT HAVE TO BE SO RUDE AS THIS INCONVENIENCE AFFECTS EVERYONE. (6) I Wonder why we even filled out contact sheets at the beginning of school year. They need to have copies in FH and Main Bldg. (7) Why can't they have an automated message that calls parents and lets them select 1.) If they are picking up & 2.) If they are not,ETC...
  • by Greg Location: Parkersburg on Sep 9, 2008 at 11:15 AM
    Is the FBI or ATF working with the local police to stop this?
  • by a very concerned parent on Sep 9, 2008 at 11:08 AM
    i think they should have punished the kids thatw ere doing it last year and there probably wouldnt be any of this..and another thing that school is soooo UNORGANIZED...there should be an easier way to get your child when a threat like this goes on..that school should be used to it considering the multiple times it happened last year..its awful you cant even send your child to school and feel that they are safe..but if more punishment was done then maybe this stupid stuff wouldnt be happening..do more than slap them on the hand and let them go...punish to the fullest extent..see if that changes anything..my children will not be back in the school until this problem is solved..i would like to be able to have my kids around and not have to worry about them being blowed up or something..
  • by MotherofPHSStudent Location: Parkersburg on Sep 9, 2008 at 10:51 AM
    There need to be some stipulations placed on the teachers about giving 0's on work missed if the students left today. My son was told certain teachers were giving 0's for work that they missed because of leaving. This needs to be an automatic excused absence if we chose to keep our children safe and the children need to have ample time to make up the work missed these past couple of days.
  • by Concerened Location: Marietta on Sep 9, 2008 at 10:47 AM
    The school system just says the same thing over and over again. It's time to do something for the safety of the kids. This time do something to the ones responsible instead of slapping them on the wrist.
  • by concerned citizen Location: parkersburg on Sep 9, 2008 at 10:46 AM
    I feel that they are putting our kids at risk. They evacuated the students to the Field House over 15 minutes after the bomb threat was called in and they didn't even have the Field House completely swept after they had all the kids in there. And the comment the woman made lastnight on the news was just provoking someone into doing something when she said "We want to prove to the caller that Wood County Schools will not be shutdown by an IDLE threat,". There are some very crazy people in this world that would could be provoked by that statement or even by not being taken seriously. I know this COULD be a prank, but what if it isn't? What if this person is just trying to "cry wolf" until nobody takes them seriously & then they're actually going to do something?
  • by BJF Location: Parkersburg on Sep 9, 2008 at 10:45 AM
    The school year has not even begun good. who ever the lunatic is, he/she should be treated as though the act has happened. The law should punish them to the fullist regardless of age. Our laws need to be changed to reflect these people who commits these feloneous acts.
  • by June Location: West Virginia on Sep 9, 2008 at 10:44 AM
    I believe that the prosecuting attorney needs to release the tapes to the news media so that the public can help identify the idiot making these, for now, idle threats.
TheNewsCenter One Television Plaza Parkersburg, WV. 26101 304-485-4588
Copyright © 2002-2016 - Designed by Gray Digital Media - Powered by Clickability 28057649 - thenewscenter.tv/a?a=28057649
Gray Television, Inc.