A Parkersburg boy is dead following an early morning house fire. Eight-year-old Evan Oakland Fiallos Stephens died at Children's Hospital in Columbus, according to a nursing supervisor.
He was taken there following a house fire at his apartment at 1905 Avery Street in Parkersburg.
Investigators say a couch caught fire from a burning candle, then flames engulfed the apartment. They have ruled the cause accidental; the structure is a total loss.
One thing that hampered fighting the fire was the search for eight-year-old Evan.
Lt. Tim Flinn of the Parkersburg Fire Department says, "A law enforcement officer driving by the structure. Residents from the structure screaming for help so he entered the structure to search for a child believed to be in the structure. When we arrived, he was outside the structure and we made an interior rescue effort."
Flinn says Evan was later found, not breathing but he did have a pulse.
Evan was taken to Children’s Hospital by air ambulance where he reportedly died late Saturday night.
The investigation into the fire is continuing.