Canton, Ohio (AP) -- Investigators say they think an Ohio house fire began in electrical circuits overloaded by a basement marijuana farm.
Lt. James Cole says Canton police found a "very large-scale" pot-growing operation, with a big commercial air filter, lights and fans.
No one was home Monday evening at the time of the fire. Authorities say more than 70 mature, high-grade marijuana plants growing in the basement were unharmed, but a pit bull living in the home was killed.
Inspector Nanette Delong with the Canton Fire Department says the dog most likely died from smoke inhalation.
Investigators estimate the pot in the home was worth $70,000.
Cole says police are interested in talking to the man who lives there.
(Copyright 2009 by the Associated Press. All rights reserved.)
Viewers with disabilities can get assistance accessing this station's FCC Public Inspection File by contacting the station with the information listed below. Questions or concerns relating to the accessibility of the FCC's online public file system should be directed to the FCC at 888-225-5322, 888-835-5322 (TTY), or email@example.com.