WVa Towns Can Seek Unpaid Costs From Tax Refunds

By: Associated Press
By: Associated Press

Charleston, W.Va. (AP) -- Municipalities in West Virginias are getting help from the state in collecting delinquent fines, fees or other costs.

West Virginia tax commissioner Christopher G. Morris said Monday that municipalities can ask the tax department to withhold money from a delinquent taxpayer's personal income tax refund to pay the debt.

Taxpayers are subject to the state withholding money from their income tax refund if they don't pay municipal costs within 270 days of the judgment.

Morris says the goal is to increase voluntary compliance.

(Copyright 2009 by the Associated Press. All rights reserved.)

You must be logged in to post comments.

Password (case sensitive):
Remember Me:

Read Comments

Comments are posted from viewers like you and do not always reflect the views of this station.
  • by me on Oct 1, 2009 at 05:54 AM
    like the city needs more money from us, dont they tax our property enough without adding the city tax they laughingly call the city fee. as for getting the state to take it out of our tax's, the state tax's are so high i cant imagine anyone getting a refund from it in the first place.
TheNewsCenter One Television Plaza Parkersburg, WV. 26101 304-485-4588
Copyright © 2002-2016 - Designed by Gray Digital Media - Powered by Clickability 62422482 - thenewscenter.tv/a?a=62422482
Gray Television, Inc.