Elementary School Supporting One of its Own

By: Cathleen Moxley Email
By: Cathleen Moxley Email

Coming together to help one of their own is an act students and staff of Worthington Elementary know well.

Last spring the school reached out to the community to help 11-year-old Patrick Kincaid who died after heart surgery.

Now, they're working to raise money for another young man.

Ten-year-old Brian Smith was diagnosed with a brain tumor right before starting the fifth grade.

Principal Joseph Oliverio says surgery was able to eliminate 90 percent of the tumor, and the remaining 10 percent is being treated with chemotherapy.

Oliverio says Brian and his family need the community's support.

"The community, you know they were really behind us last year with team Patrick week and the events that we did. Right now we got another one of our teammates down, and we just need to help him," Oliverio said.

The school will be conducting a variety of events to raise money to help with Brian's medical bills.

The first will take place this Wednesday from 5 to 8 p.m. at Cici's pizza across from Sam's club in Vienna.


You must be logged in to post comments.

Username:
Password (case sensitive):
Remember Me:

Read Comments

Comments are posted from viewers like you and do not always reflect the views of this station.
  • by Candi Location: Parkersburg on Oct 12, 2009 at 09:38 PM
    I am Brian's aunt. Thank you Tracy for you kind thoughts and prayers, I will pass them along in case his immediate family does not see them. Brian is one of the sweetest kids I have ever met and I am not being biased. Brian gave all of his allowance that he had saved up to Patrick last year with no prodding. I thought that was really unselfish for a child of his age. I would like to thank Mr. Oliverio and Worthington School for putting on the fundraiser and WTAP for posting about it. Also a big thank you to CiCi's Pizza.
  • by Tracy Location: Parkersburg on Oct 12, 2009 at 05:38 PM
    Brian is one of the sweetest little guys I know. My thoughts and prayers are with him and his family. Hurry back we miss you on the bus.
TheNewsCenter One Television Plaza Parkersburg, WV. 26101 304-485-4588
Copyright © 2002-2016 - Designed by Gray Digital Media - Powered by Clickability 64042217 - thenewscenter.tv/a?a=64042217
Gray Television, Inc.