Baby Recovering After Finger is Bitten Off By Puppy

By: Brittany Lowe, Mollie Lair Email
By: Brittany Lowe, Mollie Lair Email

UPDATE: 03/12/12 10:46 PM

"I did not neglect my child. I was there with him. He was asleep. I was asleep. He did not cry. And I will repeatedly say that. He did not cry, or would have heard him," says Stewart.

21-year-old mother of two Jena Stewart was asleep near her youngest son and woke up to find his left pinkie finger was bitten off.

Stewart says 6 and a half week old Bryar is recovering just fine, but doctors couldn't reattach his pinkie finger.

"He is going to be able to do everything else my 3 year old does. He's going to be able to play sports, and he's not going to notice it. He's not even going to know a difference until he's older and someone says something to him," says Stewart.

She says it was a freak accident. The puppy responsible for the bite was her 3-year-old son's. They only had it a week. Now she says she will never allow her kids to have pets again.

"I have to live with this for the rest of my life. I have to be the one to look at my son and tell him what happened and his mommy couldn't protect him because I was asleep. That's what I want everyone to realize. That you can pass all these harsh judgments on me and you guys are entitled to your opinions yes, but I am not a bad mom," says Stewart.

Child protective services is investigating child neglect charges. Right now, she is not allowed to be alone with Bryar. Stewart says they told her they hope to make a decision within the next week.

"I'll do anything. I have to. I won't let my boys go," she says.
______________________________________________________

UPDATE: 03/10/12 4:45 PM

Deputies with the Washington County Sheriff's Office say the baby is doing fine.

The baby's mother is hopeful her son will be released from the hospital today.

She says, doctors were unable to reattach the baby's finger.

______________________________________________________
A five week old baby's finger is bitten off by a puppy.

It was nearly 8:30 a.m. when the panicked mother 21 year old, Jena Stewart, of New Matamoras, woke up to her child covered in blood, missing a finger, and a face full of scratches.

"She said she was asleep on the couch and the baby was asleep on the bouncer next to her, close to the floor, and she said that she got woken up by her friend who came downstairs from the house and said there was blood all over her child. She investigated the blood and found that the child's finger was missing so she called 911. She said the child was not crying when it happened, she did not hear the child," explains the Washington County Sheriff's Office's Dog Warden, Deputy Kelly Schubert.

Deputy Schubert met the mother and child at Marietta Memorial Hospital looking for answers.

"I observed the child, the left finger, the pinky, was missing. They advised that a six week old lab puppy bit the child, it also had scratches on it's face, his ear, a lot of blood and they transported the child to Columbus," says Deputy Schubert.

The dog was taken to the veterinarian's office were an x-ray showed the finger... and the end of a pacifier in the dog's stomach.
The dog eventually regurgitated the finger.

Deputy Schubert says the finger was fully intact but doctors say it is not able to be reattached.

Deputy Schubert says the puppy was one of three in the home. She says she does not see this as a vicious act.

"These dogs are not vicious, they are puppies being puppies. He just thought he was playing. They need things to chew on to occupy them. They were very well fed and they weren't miss treated," explains Deputy Schubert.

Other than the missing finger and pain... Deputy Schubert says they do not believe there to be any other serious injuries once the pinky is cleaned.

She says all three puppies were in good, health condition and will be taken to the Ohio Valley Humane Society and be put up for adoption.

The Washington County Sheriff's Department is still investigating and child services are conducting their own investigation.

Username:

• by Anonymous on Apr 17, 2012 at 05:45 PM
    The finding from cps was that there was no neglect and the mother thought she was doing what was best. As for her three year old he was at his papas house bc he was also sick and the kids keep giving it back and fourth to each other so they thought it was best to split them up so they both could get better. Update on the baby his hand healed great and is doing wonderful . She made an honest mistake and trust me as one of her close friends she is trying to learn how to deal with what she didn't protect her baby from is how i know all of this . Oh and just so everyone knows she did take a drug test volenteering and passed it bc she dont do drug and never has.
  • by public Location: usa on Mar 23, 2012 at 08:55 AM
    why is there no update on this what did cps fine....do they know her past ....is this her frist dealing with cps....where was her 3 yr old at the time so many questions,,no answeres...
  • by Anonymous on Mar 18, 2012 at 05:05 PM
    that mutt needs to be put down before it gets a chance to grow into a large mutt and do more harm to another human.
  • by kathy Location: Parkersburg on Mar 17, 2012 at 06:39 PM
    I can't judge here cause I don't know really what happend. I just hope for the best and will pray for the family
  • by waterford girl Location: waterford on Mar 16, 2012 at 08:00 PM
    her story is stupid bc im sorry but when my baby was sick and i had her in the er she slept all the time and she sreamed her head off then they were giving her shots so dont tell me that the baby didnt cry or scream!! i think that the mother should have to take a drug test because no matter how tired she was or sick she was she would of heard him!!! when how did her friend that was upstairs know that something was wrong with the baby to come down and check on him!! come on really!! i think she should go to jail for child endangerment and cps needs to taken her kids from her!!
  • by Jasmine Location: 45750 on Mar 14, 2012 at 07:15 PM
    This isn't about being single or poor. You simply have to be either mentally incompetent or on drugs to allow a newborn and a puppy in the same room. No good mother, no competent adult for that matter would do that. So either way, CPS needs to keep a hawk eye on that situation.
      by Anonymous on Apr 17, 2012 at 05:48 PM in reply to Jasmine
      What does being poor have do with any of this my question to you is are u a perfect parent bc I sure the hell ain't perfect and I haven't ever met one.
  • by puppy on Mar 14, 2012 at 07:11 PM
    He won't know the difference between one hand with five fingers and the other that has four. Im not judging im telling that you are a idiot. But your a good mom.
  • by what ignorance is this? on Mar 14, 2012 at 11:33 AM
    Really? Just because your life happens to be perfect doesn't mean everyone else's is. Not all men want or try to stick around to help raise their kids unfortunately and for the most part it is because the MEN themselves dont want to stick around and is not completely the fault of the mother. how dare you pass judgement on single mothers in this way? not to mention that that particular problem isn't even a factor in this situation! The fact that the father may or may not be around is irrelevant in this situation. Grow up and get a grip and stop pointing fingers at other people and their relationships or lack there of. Don't be ignorant by assuming that it's always the mother's fault that the father isnt around.
  • by KYLEFATHEROF2 Location: PARKERSBURG on Mar 14, 2012 at 11:14 AM
    I am sickened at the thought of what happened to this poor child, but more-so sickened by the fact that people are quicker to defend the dogs and judge the mother than to simply say "I am praying for this family in this trying time" I would like to see the number of people who proclaim to be CHRISTIANS who have posted some of these comments!! The facts are , you weren't there, you don't know what happened, YOU need to get off you High Horse and realize judgement could be passed on yourselves for things (probably much worse)!! Pray for the mother and the child and lift them up to God!!!!!
  • by Anonymous Location: Parkersburg on Mar 14, 2012 at 10:04 AM
    Trudy, it is a puppy and does not need to be put down!!!! Puppies chew everything from phone cords to cell phones. You don't know much about dogs, do you??
Copyright © 2002-2016 - Designed by Gray Digital Media - Powered by Clickability 142121543 - thenewscenter.tv/a?a=142121543