"I was scared at first," says Ashton Hendershot.
His first reaction was fear, but then this big brother stepped up and helped save his newborn baby brother.
"We have newborn twins. And one of them was sick, very sick. And he started coughing really badly and when he was coughing he got choked and stopped breathing," says Kayla Hendershot, mother of the boys.
It's every parents worst nightmare. Kayla says she was panicking, trying to help her child breathe.
"When he stopped breathing he started turning blue and I started panicking. This little man here picked up the phone and dialed 911 for me," says Kayla.
This 8-year-old took charge of the situation and called for help.
"They asked me if he had a fever and I said he didn't and they asked me if he was sick and he was. He had a bad earache. And they asked what was our address and I told them and they came," says Ashton.
Ashton memorized his address and phone number in case of emergency. His parents hoped he would never have to use it.
Kayla says she was overwhelmed by the experience.
"I honestly couldn't tell you what I was thinking. I was thinking what do I do to make this baby breathe? His color was changing he was already sick. I honestly was just panicking," says Kayla.
After a week in the Women's and Children's Hospital in Charleston baby Braxston is back home and in good health.
Thanks to Ashton's quick thinking and calm demeanor.
"He stepped up. He definitely pulled a big brother duty that night," says Kayla.
Kayla says she and her husband plan to take a CPR class in the near future. As a mother of six she wants to be prepared if something like this ever happens again.