The Cabell County Coroner's Office says Brian Lockhart died from his injuries.
Lockhart suffered burns over 85% of his body after a gas can exploded in his hands Friday night.
Parkersburg police responded around 11 o'clock Friday night to 1403 Ridgeway A venue.
Officers say Brian Lockhart and several others had been sitting around a fire with a gasoline can nearby.
Reports say Lockhart noticed the gas can was swelling from the heat and tried to move it. Police say the can then exploded, catching Lockhart on fire.
He tried to put the fire out by rolling on the ground and ended up rolling down a hill into a heavily wooded area First responders were able to extinguish the fire, but had to use a long rope and backboard to get Lockhart up the hill.
He was taken by helicopter to the Cabell-Huntington Hospital Burn Unit.
Officials say Lockhart is in critical condition with burns on 85% of his body. They say his injuries are life threatening.
Police say alcohol appears to be a factor.
Police say while officials were helping Lockhart, several people at the home became disorderly. According to reports, they were screaming and cursing at first responders as well as physically interfering with the rescue effort.
Officers arrested Joseph Sams for obstructing. Sams was arraigned Saturday morning in Wood County Magistrate Court and is out on bond.
Viewers with disabilities can get assistance accessing this station's FCC Public Inspection File by contacting the station with the information listed below. Questions or concerns relating to the accessibility of the FCC's online public file system should be directed to the FCC at 888-225-5322, 888-835-5322 (TTY), or firstname.lastname@example.org.