STEWART, OHIO-Coolville, Ohio's Andy Bond aboard the ECH Transport/Rayburn #01 claimed an exciting 40-lap $2000 win in the 3rd annual "Foothills Fury" Late Model invitational at Billy Jarrell's Skyline Speedway Friday night. Kenny Johnson, Mineral Wells, WV claimed his fourth consecutive Malta AMRA Modified main, Ryan Wilson claimed the Pure Stock main, Tommy Adkins took the four cylinders, while Mini-Wedge mains went to Will Holland and Wesley Baker.
A veteran star-studded field of 30 late models qualified for the 3rd annual Foothills Fury. At the start of the 40-lap Late Model feature, Josh McGuire got under a sweeping Delmas Conley initiating a wild eight car pile up at the drop of the green. After all cars were unstacked only Ralph Withem, Larry Bond, and Brian Eaton were casualties. Conley was whistled for the foul and sent to the tail of the remaining 14 cars that saw Audie Swartz fail to start. That set the stage for an euphoric finish on the tacky-fast 3/8 red clay oval.
Pole sitter and fast timer Andy Bond grabbed the early lead over Chris Garnes and McGuire, while Conley worked his way up to eighth by lap five. Rod Conley and Travis Brookover fought Ed Shuman for a top five at the lap-five juncture.
For the next ten circuits Bond and McGuire went nose to tail until lap 17 when Bond jumped the cushion and McGuire took the point. Bond's Watson-Ruppel powered Chevrolet came right back. The battle resumed in reverse order. By this time Conley’s Rocket was on the launching pad and was back up to fifth behind son Rod.
On lap 22 McGuire's leading Rayburn came to an abrupt halt on the front chute when his drive shaft came loose on the tacky 3/8 mile oval. Bond inherited the lead and led the Garnes, Conley-Conley, Brookover parade to the restart.
Chris Carpenter made a late race charge along with Jason Montgomery. Delmas Conley took second on lap 28 from Garnes, who had jumped the steep cushion. On lap 31 the two flashy veterans ran up on traffic with Delmas taking the lead for two go-rounds. Bond came back by lap 35 to zoom past Conley on the high side. The pass stuck for good as Bond charged on to the win.
Bond said in victory lane, "I had a great car and a great engine. All I had to do was hold her wide open and hold on. The track was right and the car was right tonight. Thanks to Ernie Hoschar for the great equipment he gives me."
Rounding out the top ten were Andy Bond, Delmas Conley, Chris Garnes, Rod Conley, Travis Brookover, Jeff Burdette, Ed Shuman, Jason Montgomery, Anthony Huber, and Chris Carpenter. Delmas Conley was hard-charger of the race with his last to second run. Montgomery came from 17th to 8th.
In the equally exciting Modified main, Kenny Johnson---winner of the last three Skyline main events---took the initial lead over Robert Garnes, Jeremy Berwanger, and Doug Henry. On lap six Roger Shadwick took a hard hit to bring out a red flag. Shadwick was shaken but unable to continue.
On lap nine Dusty Boley hooked the cushion and flipped wildly six to seven times, bursting into an airborne ball of flames before coming to rest upright. Boley exited his badly bent machine under his own power much to the delight of the tensely awaiting crowd.
While Johnson anchored the point, Montgomery was storming from 16th position toward a top five. Berwanger and Henry filed in behind the barnstorming Johnson with Mike McPherson besting J.P. Roberts for the fourth slot.
Johnson was spectacular in getting his fourth straight Skyline win, winning a reported six out of seven in AMRA action the last three weeks. Berwanger beat out Henry for second in a torrid, race-long battle.
Rounding out the top ten were Kenny Johnson, Jeremy Berwanger, Doug Henry, Mike McPherson, Jason Montgomery, J.P. Roberts, Robert Garnes, Robbie Evans, Mark Luning, and Rick Venham, Jr. Montgomery was hard charger of the race, garnering fifth after a 16th place start.
Tommy Adkins took the lead in the four cylinder main and never looked back. The win is Adkins sixth of the year. Second place Jeff Ranking had a great run in defeating Tyler Emmelhainz and Chris Lauer.
Rounding out the top ten were Tommy Adkins, Jeff Rankin, Tyler Emmelhainz, Chris Lauer, Barry Kitts, George Klintworth, Terry Gilkey, Scott Neal, Greg King, and Derick Hamrick.
Flyin' Ryan Wilson stumbled in his heat, but came alive in the feature for his sixth win of the year. While the yellow came out for a trio of cars in turn three, Richard Wilson snagged a tire and barrel rolled in turn four.
Rounding out the top ten were Ryan Wilson, Jarod Willis, Frankie Hall, Gary Gould, Tommy Murphy, Jeremy Blake, Rick VanDyne, George Klintworth, Levi Woods, and Richard Wilson. The hard charger of the race was Tommy Murphy in a 13th to fourth run.
Will Holland claimed the mini-wedge main over Martin Gibson, Jr., Abby White, Tyler Evans, Cameron Roush, Samantha Roush, and Coleman Evans. In the Blue Clone Feature Wesley Baker won over Shayla Griffey, and Hunter Cline.
• Fast Time: Andy Bond 13:01
• Heat One: Andy Bond, Chris Garnes, Ralph Withem, Jeff Burdette, Larry Bond, Chad Todd, Kenny Newhouse, Buckwheat Shutts, Chris Carpenter, Kevin Layne
• Heat Two: Delmas Conley, Audie Swartz, Ed Shuman, Travis Brookover, Anthony Huber, Jason Montgomery, Tyler Carpenter, Ryan Casto, Buddy Isles, Steve Bigley
• Heat Three: Josh McGuire, Rod Conley, Tony Roush, Dan Morrison, Ernie Hoschar, Justin Powell, Brian Eaton, T.J. Roush, George Klintworth, Robbie Bostic
• B-Main: Jason Montgomery, Brian Eaton, Chris Carpenter, Buddy Isles, Ryan Casto, Robbie Bostic, Justin Powell, Steve Bigley, T.J. Roush, Kenny Newhouse, Chad Todd, George Klintworth, Kevin Layne, Buckwheat Shutts
• Feature: Andy Bond, Delmas Conley, Chris Garnes, Rod Conley, Travis Brookover, Jeff Burdette, Ed Shuman, Jason Montgomery, Anthony Huber, Chris Carpenter, Dan Morrison, Josh McGuire, Tony Roush, Ernie Hoschar, Ralph Withem, Larry Bond, Brian Eaton, Audie Swartz DNS
MALTA AMRA MODIFIEDS
• Heat One: Dusty Boley, Curt Stacy, Jeremy Roush, Mike McPherson, Roy Roush, Frank Roush, Nick Carr, Rick Venham, Jr.
• Heat Two: Kenny Johnson, Doug Henry, Jeremy Berwanger, Robbie Evans, Mark Luning, Jason Montgomery, Zack Kisner, Shawn Donahue, Vince Conrad
• Heat Three: Robert Garnes, Derrick Smith, JP Roberts, Roger Shadwick, Jeremy Blake, Matt Holcomb
• B-Main: Jason Montgomery, Vince Conrad, Rick Venham, Nick Carr, Zach Kisner, Shawn Donahue, Frank Roush, Matt Holcomb
• Feature: Kenny Johnson, Jeremy Berwanger, Doug Henry, Mike McPherson, Jason Montgomery, J.P. Roberts, Robert Garnes, Robbie Evans, Mark Luning, Rick Venham, Jr., Vince Conrad, Curt Stacy, Roy Roush, Jeremy Roush, Dusty Boley, Derrick Smith, Roger Shadwick, Jeremy Blake
• Heat One: Tommy Murphy (Disqualified), Ryan Wilson, Frankie Hall, Levi Woods, Rick VanDyne, George Klintworth, Shawn Estel
• Heat Two: Jerrad Willis, Gary Gould, Richard Wilson, Jeremy Blake, Keith Marlow, Kurt Reck
• Feature: Ryan Wilson, Jarod Willis, Frankie Hall, Gary Gould, Tommy Murphy, Jeremy Blake, Rick VanDyne, George Klintworth, Levi Woods, Richard Wilson, Keith Marlow, Curt Reck, Shawn Estel
• Heat One: Jeff Rankin, George Klintworth, Chris Lauer, Greg King, Derick Hamrick, John Rankin
• Heat Two: Tyler Emmelhainz, Tommy Adkins, Barry Kitts, Terry Gilkey, Scott Neal
• Feature: Tommy Adkins, Jeff Rankin, Tyler Emmelhainz, Chris Lauer, Barry Kitt, George Klintworth, Terry Gilkey, Scott Neal, Greg King, Derick Hamrick, John Rankin
• Heat One: Will Holland, Martin Gibson, Jr., Abby White, Tyler Evans, Coleman Evans, Cameron Roush, Samantha Roush
• Heat Two (Blue Clone): Gregory Gillian, Shayla Griffey, Wesley Baker, Hunter Cline, Tiffany Jackson
• Feature: Will Holland, Martin Gibson, Jr., Abby White, Tyler Evans, Cameron Roush, Samantha Roush, Coleman Evans
Blue Clone Feature: Wesley Baker, Shayla Griffey, Hunter Cline