STEWART, OHIO-Some things never change. For the past several weeks Evans, WV driver Chris Garnes has been the top dog at Skyline Speedway, winning his third feature of the year Friday night in the AMRA Late Model division at Billy Jarrell's Skyline Speedway. A new addition to victory lane came in the Ohio Valley Sprint Car Association 410 sprint main, where Chillicothe, Ohio's Keith Baxter led flag to flag for the win. Marietta's Ryan Wilson claimed the Pure Stocks, Portland's Tommy Adkins took the Four Cylinders, Will Holland the Mini-Wedges, and Scott Perine claimed the Blue Clones.
Veterans Jeff Burdette and Larry Bond paced the field to the green flag in the AMRA Late Model main with Burdette gaining the early edge. Burdette stretched his lead over Bond by lap five, but three-time winner Chris Garnes moved into second one lap later.
On lap nine Garnes chased down Burdette and took the lead one circuit later. Burdette took the low route, while "No Fear" Garnes blasted through the marbles far beyond the cushion on the high side.
On lap 13, the race's first caution waved for Joey Harper, bunching up the field for an electrifying restart. Garnes took the low route on the restart and resumed his charge.
Bond nestled into third ahead of Dan Morrison, Justin Powell, and Bub Crum who all enjoyed good runs. Fast Ed Shuman was working his way off the tail to a top ten. When the checkered waved, Garnes flew past for the win ahead of Burdette and Bond.
Rounding out the top ten behind Garnes were Jeff Burdette, Larry Bond, Dan Morrison, Justin Powell, Bub Crum, Ralph Withem, Travis Brookover, Tony Roush, and Richard Frazier.
In the OVSCA 410 sprint main, pole-sitter Keith Baxter jumped into a huge lead over Jimmy Nier and Josh Davis. Baxter soared into the twilight all by himself, but ran into a scary moment on lap twelve when Chris Myers and Wes McGlumphy got together right in front of the leaders. The melee collected second place Jimmy Nier on the no-stop rule.
Two rounds later, Nier and Brian Benson came together with Benson spinning headlong into the retaining wall. Baxter continued to dominate, while Davis held off a pack of competitors for second. Aaron Higgins and Charlie Fisher filed into third and fourth with Andre Layfield in fifth. Higgins tried Davis on the restart and made the pass for second, but was no match for Baxter.
Lots of close side-by-side action, typical of the OVSCA, highlighted the racing. Baxter's dominance, however, overshadowed the fireworks behind him.
Crabtree bagged Layfield for a top five, while Nier blasted off the tail back to seventh. The 21st circuit saw Fisher bag Davis for third. Rounding out the top ten behind Baxter were Aaron Higgins, Charlie Fisher, Josh Davis, Kory Crabtree, Jimmy Nier, Dave Dickson, Andre Layfield, and Greg Mitchell. Dave Dickson was the Hard Charger for the fourth week in a row with a 12th to 5th place run. Layfield was bumped back two positions for jumping a restart.
Baxter dedicated the win to his father who passed away over the winter. "This one's for dad," said Baxter. "That made this win a special one for me."
In the AMRA Modified main Matt Holcomb took the early lead. The next three laps unfolded with a side-by-side battle between Holcomb and former AMRA champ Doug Henry. Henry took over on lap four with Kenny Johnson, Holcomb, and Jeremy Berwanger going three-wide for second.
Johnson secured the spot with Holcomb and Berwanger in tow. A tangle between Jim Fordyce and Nick Carr brought out the first caution, sending Fordyce out on the hook.
Johnson and Henry scrapped for first with Johnson overtaking the lead on lap nine, only to have a caution nix the pass. Henry settled into a fast line on the restart and led the freight train to the checkered flag. The win was not easy as Johnson pressured Henry the last several laps. Blake made it a trio for an exciting finish as all three cars passed under the checkered of flagman Todd Gorrell within feet of one another. Mike McPherson and Jeremy Blake roared through the field for good finishes. Blake came from 10th to third for hard-charger honors.
Rounding out the top ten behind Henry were Kenny Johnson, Jeremy Blake, Jeremy Berwanger, Mike McPherson, Mike Wilson, Robbie Evans, Vince Conrad, J.P. Roberts, and Rick Venham, Jr.
In the Pure Stock feature Ryan Wilson outran the law and won. After a heated battle in the opening laps between Wilson and Deputy Tommy Murphy, Wilson hit the back-roads sideways to outrun Murphy. Murphy made a late race bid, but the Wilson Energy entry was far too much for man in uniform. At the finish it was Ryan Wilson, Tommy Murphy, Curt Reck, Jerrad Willis, Shane Roush, Levi Woods, and George Klintworth. Gary Gould was a flip casualty in his heat race, but emerged only shaken as was Ben Ayers, another solid performer who left on the hook in the same accident. Curt Reck won a great battle with Willis for third in the A-main.
Tommy Adkins is unbeatable in the Four Cylinders. Sometimes driving one-handed, Adkins put on a show to win his seventh A-main in grand style over Cody Heiss, Tyler Emmelhainz, Seth Thaxton, Chris Lauer, George Klintworth, Jeff Rankin, Scott Neal, Greg King, and Phillip Eagle. Heiss, Emmelhainz, Thaxton and Lauer all survived a heated battle in a bid for the top five.
410 Sprint Cars (22)
Fast Time: Keith Baxter 12:27
• Heat One: Keith Baxter, Aaron Higgins, Jimmy Stinson, Greg Mitchell, John Webb, Sam Mosher, Tim Mosher, Eric Martin
• Heat Two: Jimmy Nier, Charlie Fisher, Mark Imler, Andre Layfield, Brian Benson, Chris Myers, Jamie Myers
• Heat Three: Josh Davis, Cory Crabtree, Wes McGlumphy, David Dickson, Sam Ashworth, Roger Ramsey, Lance Webb
• B-Main: Chris Myers, Sam Mosher, Roger Ramsey, Tim Mosher, Jamie Myers, Eric Martin, Lance Webb
• Feature: Keith Baxter, Aaron Higgins, Charlie Fisher, Josh Davis, Kory Crabtree, Jimmy Nier, Dave Dickson, Andre Layfield, Greg Mitchell, Mark Imler, Sam Ashworth, Tim Mosher, Jon Webb, Roger Ramsey, Brian Benson, Jimmy Stinson, Chris Myers, Wes McGlumphy
Late Models (20)
• Fast Time: Larry Bond 13:36
• Heat One: Larry Bond, Dan Morrison, Tony Roush, George Klintworth, Robbie Bostic, Colten Burdette, Steve Bigley
• Heat Two: Jeff Burdette, Mike Martin, Justin Powell, Ralph Withem, Richard Frazier, Joey Harper, Andy Bond
• Heat Three: Chris Garnes, Bub Crum, JR Crum, Travis Brookover, Chad Todd, Ed Shuman
• Feature: Chris Garnes, Jeff Burdette, Larry Bond, Dan Morrison, Justin Powell, Bub Crum, Ralph Withem, Travis Brookover, Tony Roush, Richard Frazier, Robbie Bostic, J.R. Crum, Ed Shuman, Chad Todd, Colten Burdette, George Klintworth, Mike Martin, Joey Harper
MALTA AMRA MODIFIEDS (32)
• Heat One: Matt Holcomb, Kenny Johnson, Jeremy Blake, Vince Conrad, Zac Kisner, CD Judd, Derrick Smith
• Heat Two: Doug Henry, Fireball Pinkerton, Deana Groves, Nick Carr, Don Maloney, Eric Arledge, Ernie Lockhart, Chris Butler
• Heat Three: Jeremy Berwanger, JP Roberts, Jim Fordyce, Robbie Evans, Jason Canepari, Shawn Donahue, Robert Garnes
• Heat Four: Mike Wilson, Mike McPherson, Rick Venham, Jr., Matt Yates, Frank Roush, Toby Roush, Kurt Stacy
• B-Main One: Vince Conrad, Eric Arledge, Nick Carr, Jeremy Roush, Zac Kisner, Ernie Lockhart, CD Judd, Derrick Smith, Don Maloney, Chris Butler
• B-Main Two: Robbie Evans, Matt Yates, Frank Roush, Kurt Stacy, Jason Canepari, Shawn Donahue, Toby Roush, Roy Roush, Robert Garnes
• Feature: Doug Henry, Kenny Johnson, Jeremy Blake, Jeremy Berwanger, Mike McPherson, Mike Wilson, Robbie Evans, Vince Conrad, J.P. Roberts, Rick Venham, Matt Holcomb, Nick Carr, Deana Groves, Matt Yates, Frank Roush, Eric Arledge, Fireball Pinkerton, Jim Fordyce
Pure Stocks (9)
• Heat One: Ryan Wilson, Curt Reck, Levi Woods, Jerrad Willis, Shane Roush
• Heat Two: Tommy Murphy, George Klintworth, Ben Ayres, Gary Gould
• Feature: Ryan Wilson, Tommy Murphy, Curt Reck, Jerrad Willis, Shane Roush, Levi Woods, George Klintworth
Four Cylinders (15)
• Heat One: Tyler Emmelhainz, Seth Thaxton, Jeff Rankin, George Klintworth, Philip Eagle, Dean Wingrove, David Rankin, Rob McFee
• Heat Two: Tom Adkins, Cody Heiss, Chris Lauer, Greg King, Terry Gilkey, Scott Neal, Barry Kitts
• Feature: Tommy Adkins, Cody Heiss, Tyler Emmelhainz, Seth Thaxton, Chris Lauer, George Klintworth, Jeff Rankin, Scott Neal, Greg King, Phillip Eagle, John Rankin, Dean Wingrove, Terry Gilkey, Barry Kitts
Will Holland, Martin Gibson, Samantha Roush
Blue Clone Feature: Scott Perine, Jason Gillian, Kaitlyn Frazier, Jackson Jacobs, Hunter Cline, Cole Cline