CHILLICOTHE, OHIO-Ohio Sprint Speedweek returned to the high-banks of Jeff and Vicki Schrader's K-C Raceway for the first time in several seasons. A large hot summer crowd saw equally hot action, highlighted by a sizzling performance from eventual O'Reilly's All-Star 410 Sprint winner Tim Schaffer of Aliquippa, PA. Kyle Sauder claimed the NRA Invader 360's, Kenny Johnson claimed the AMRA modifieds, and Jamie Adams grabbed the Hobby Stock main.
Pole-sitter Schaffer and Todd Kane paced the 24-car O'Reilly All-Star field to starter Daryl Owens' green flag in the second leg of the 28th Annual Ohio Sprint Speedweek.
On the initial start Kyle Sauder looped it in front of the field and collected four cars including Tyler Walker and Mitchell Harble, who both exited with disabling damage. Sauder was able to continue after doing a 360 to avoid the no-stop rule penalty. The restart saw Tim Schaffer blast into a huge lead over outside pole sitter Todd Kane.
Kane, a former K-C champ, had about two laps of Schaffer, but the PA native hit the launching pad and proverbially was "off to the races", leaving Kane to grapple for a top ten. Lap seven action saw Dale Blaney take second, but an exchange of crossover passes saw Kane retake the position. Blaney's surge stalled and the "bottom rider" seemed content to hold on for second.
Ron Blair clipped the front chute wall on lap eleven, but the K-C standout was able to continue as other drivers took evasive action. By this time nine lapped cars separated Blaney from Schaffer.
Brandon Wimmer made a slide job stick on lap seventeen to take the runner-up slot from Blaney. Wimmer's blast, however, was stonewalled by a gaggle of lapped cars that helped Schaffer mount his torrid victory run. The 23rd tour saw Cale Conley make contact with another car and loop it on the front chute, while simultaneously Keith Baxter spun in turn four. Both resumed at the end of the field.
Schaffer, the Steel City Outlaw, was glowing red hot in a dominant run and half track lead; but the restart saw that wide margin decimated to a seven car pad of backmarkers.
Hometown hero Jimmy Nier was well on his way to hard charging honors with a last to eighth place run.
Schaffer was in another time zone from the rest of the field, blasting back to a commanding lead. Blaney worked hard on Wimmer the last three laps, finally making the pass in turns three and four of the last lap for second place.
"This is the first time I have ever won here and it is awesome!", exclaimed Schaffer. "The last five times I have drawn a six pill and when I drew the 'one' I was a little nervous (laughing). We've been having some tough luck and this really helps out."
"Having the family here was really nice. I didn't know how far ahead I was. I thought someone might be right there with me the whole time, so I just ran scared."
Said runner-up Dale Blaney, "We will take second. We were good for about four laps, then we just weren't very good anywhere on the track. We didn't have anything for Tim; and Brandon is fast on tracks like these. Fortunately, we were able to make the pass at the end and now we'll go on to the next one."
"I knew we passed Blaney so I knew I was up front somewhere. Schaffer was just out of sight," noted third place Brandon Wimmer. "Then the car got a little loose and I was just fortunate to hold on for third."
Rounding out the top ten behind Shaffer were Dale Blaney, Brandon Wimmer, Kyle Sauder, David Gravel, Jimmy Nier, Rob Chaney, Lee Jacobs, Dean Jacobs, and Todd Kane.
Kyle Sauder, Archibald, Ohio in the Dave Jessop #7K took the early lead in the NRA 360 Sprint Invader feature and never looked back. As Sauder poised himself for a victory run, Todd Heuerman was left to battle the pack of hungry wolves for second. Butch Schroder spun on lap five after breaking a left front suspension and took an early exit.
Tim Allison worked on Ron Blair for much of the race, until Blair broke away in chase of Heuerman for runner-up honors.
Sauder's lead was never in jeopardy as he pulled off the popular flag-to-flag win. Sauder said, "I've only driven this car for three weeks, so I don't even know all of my sponsors. I just want to thank Triple A, Dave Jessop and the crew. He's great and most of all I'd like to thank God for getting me here in victory lane."
Rounding out the top ten were Sauder, Todd Heuerman, Ron Blair, Kent Wolters, Tim Allison, J.R. Stewart, Dallas Hewitt, Mike Dussell, Tim Hunter, and Cale Conley.
Kenny Johnson took over the lead from Brian Whiteman on lap three, then survived a torrid battle to take the AMRA Modified win. Whiteman didn't concede after the Johnson pass as the duo engaged in a good old fashioned shootout.
Brian Moore spun in front of the leaders on lap nine, but both Johnson and Whiteman avoided disaster. Normally, high against the wall Johnson squeezed the bottom in trying to defend the challenges of Whiteman.
Adam Lawson, Sean Schobeloch, and T.J. Harper battled wildly for position late in the race. Schobeloch had held third much of the way, but a lap 15 restart saw Lawson get a good jump to secure the position. When all was said and done Johnson cantered to victory lane for the second time this season at K-C.
"For all the high-side fans, I'm sorry," quipped AMRA National Points leader Kenny Johnson. "I realized once I passed Brian (Whiteman) on the bottom and I went high and nearly got passed back, that the bottom must be faster. That Shaw car will work anywhere."
Jamie Adams had an early battle with veteran Roger Mossbarger, then dominated the rest of the 15-lap Hobby main. Bruce Gray, Jr. gave Adams a run but fell short at the end in second.
The K-C Hobby Stockers continue to put on a great show with an abundance of future talent on the horizon. One such talent is Brandon Thompson who anchored third ahead of Roger Mossbarger, Joe Buskirk, Joe Williams, Tommy Mossbarger, Keith Dubois, Richard Trego, Justin Poling, Brandon Mather, Richard Johnson, and Tim Cutler.
"This car drivers really well and sticks just about anywhere you put it," noted the humble, but dominant Adams. Joe Buskirk was the hard charger of the race.
The 28th Annual Ohio Sprint Speedweek continues at Millstream Speedway in Findlay on Sunday, June 20 for a Father’s Day All Star special. The All-Stars return to K-C for "The Night the Stars Come Out" Sprint car/Late Model double-header with Advanced Services Modifieds on Saturday, July 3. K-C hosts double late model features this Saturday along with Advanced Services modifies, and Dan Reno Hobby Stocks.
Qualifying - Kistler Engines
1. 89G-David Gravel, 11.753; 2. 78-Todd Kane, 11.765; 3. 1-Stevie Smith, 11.835; 4. 9X-Rob Chaney, 11.836; 5. 7K-Kyle Sauder, 11.883; 6. 22-Cole Duncan, 11.884; 7. 2-Dale Blaney, 11.905; 8. 83-Tim Shaffer, 11.915; 9. 6-Bill Rose, 11.920; 10. O-Brandon Wimmer, 11.950; 11. 24H-Lee Jacobs, 11.975; 12. 97-Dean Jacobs, 12.025; 13. 35-Ron Blair, 12.030; 14. 6X-Nick Nabor, 12.031; 15. 3C-Cale Conley, 12.033; 16. 17-Tyler Walker, 12.036; 17. 5R-Byron Reed, 12.039; 18. 11B-Brock Mayes, 12.086; 19. O4-Cap Henry, 12.165; 20. W20-Greg Wilson, 12.186; 21. 1B-Keith Baxter, 12.190; 22. X-Mark Keegan, 12.242; 23. 4K-Kody Kinser, 12.261; 24. 15H-Mitch Harble, 12.282; 25. 93-Sheldon Haudenschild, 12.290; 26. 3J-Kevin Lee, 12.297; 27. OO-Jimmy Nier, 12.303; 28. 47-Caleb Helms, 12.318; 29. 39-Alec Martin, 12.337; 30. 56R-Ryan Myers, 12.343; 31. V92-Matthew Reed, 12.395; 32. 12-Jared Ridge, 12.525; 33. 40-Mark Imler, 12.605; 34. 78L-Kirk Jeffries, 12.772; 35. 15C-Chris Andrews, 12.915; 36. 11D-Bryce Dickson, 12.926; 37. O6-Brandy Bower, 12.970; 38. 92-Sam Ashworth, 12.973; 39. 14-Aaron Fry, 13.517; 40. 41-Randy Fink, 13.930; 41. 3F-Rick Fraley, 14.185
Heat 1 - MSD Ignition (8 Laps - Top 5 Transfer)
1. 5R-Byron Reed; 2. 89G-David Gravel; 3. 1B-Keith Baxter; 4. 35-Ron Blair; 5. 7K-Kyle Sauder; 6. 93-Sheldon Haudenschild; 7. 40-Mark Imler; 8. O6-Brandy Bower; 9. 3F-Rick Fraley; 10. 39-Alec Martin; 11. 6-Bill Rose
Heat 2 - Kear's Speed Shop (8 Laps - Top 5 Transfer)
1. X-Mark Keegan; 2. O-Brandon Wimmer; 3. 11B-Brock Mayes; 4. 78-Todd Kane; 5. 3J-Kevin Lee; 6. 22-Cole Duncan; 7. 6X-Nick Nabor; 8. 56R-Ryan Myers; 9. 78L-Kirk Jeffries; 10. 92-Sam Ashworth
Heat 3 - All Pro Heads (8 Laps - Top 5 Transfer)
1. 4K-Kody Kinser; 2. O4-Cap Henry; 3. 3C-Cale Conley; 4. 2-Dale Blaney; 5. 24H-Lee Jacobs; 6. 1-Stevie Smith; 7. OO-Jimmy Nier; 8. V92-Matthew Reed; 9. 14-Aaron Fry; 10. 15C-Chris Andrews
Heat 4 - Outerwear's Performance Products (8 Laps - Top 5 Transfer)
1. 15H-Mitch Harble; 2. W20-Greg Wilson; 3. 97-Dean Jacobs; 4. 9X-Rob Chaney; 5. 83-Tim Shaffer; 6. 17-Tyler Walker; 7. 47-Caleb Helms; 8. 11D-Bryce Dickson; 9. 41-Randy Fink; 10. 12-Jared Ridge
Dash - Rubbn' Repair (6 Laps - Top - Transfer)
1. 78-Todd Kane; 2. 83-Tim Shaffer; 3. O-Brandon Wimmer; 4. 24h-Lee Jacobs; 5. 89g-David Gravel; 6. 7k-Kyle Sodder
B-Main - University of Northwestern Ohio (12 Laps - Top 4 Transfer)
1. OO-Jimmy Nier; 2. 1-Stevie Smith; 3. 17-Tyler Walker; 4. 6-Bill Rose; 5. 6X-Nick Nabor; 6. 22-Cole Duncan; 7. 47-Caleb Helms; 8. 92-Sam Ashworth; 9. 93-Sheldon Haudenschild; 10. 40-Mark Imler; 11. 78L-Kirk Jeffries; 12. 11D-Bryce Dickson; 13. 56R-Ryan Myers; 14. O6-Brandy Bower; 15. 14-Aaron Fry; 16. 41-Randy Fink; 17. 39-Alec Martin; 18. 3F-Rick Fraley; 19. 12-Jared Ridge; 20. 15C-Chris Andrews; 21. V92-Matthew Reed
A-Main - O'Reilly Auto Parts (30 Laps)
1. 83-Tim Shaffer; 2. 2-Dale Blaney; 3. O-Brandon Wimmer; 4. 7K-Kyle Sauder; 5. 89G-David Gravel; 6. OO-Jimmy Nier; 7. 9X-Rob Chaney; 8. 24H-Lee Jacobs; 9. 97-Dean Jacobs; 10. 78-Todd Kane; 11. 11B-Brock Mayes; 12. 5R-Byron Reed; 13. 1-Stevie Smith; 14. 3C-Cale Conley; 15. 35-Ron Blair; 16. W20-Greg Wilson; 17. 4K-Kody Kinser; 18. X-Mark Keegan; 19. 6-Bill Rose; 20. 3J-Kevin Lee; 21. 1B-Keith Baxter; 22. O4-Cap Henry; 23. 17-Tyler Walker; 24. 15H-Mitch Harble
Hard Charger Jimmy Nier 24 th to 6th
NRA 360 Sprints
Heat One-Dallas Hewitt, Ron Blair, Mike Dussell, Kyle Sauder, Pete Ischi, Cale Conley, Hud Horton, Jesse McCreary, Zach Ames
Heat Two-Butch Schroeder, Tim Allison, Todd Heuerman, Kent Wolters, Tim Hunter, J.R. Stewart, Luke Hall, Jared Horstman
Feature- A Main : Kyle Sauder,Todd Heuerman, Ron Blair, Kent Wolters, Tim Allison, J.R. Stewart, Dallas Hewitt, Mike Dussell, Tim Hunter, Cale Conley, Hud Horton,
Pete Ischi, Luke Hall, Zach Ames, Jesse McCreary, Jared Horstman, Butch Schroeder
Hard Charger JR Stewart 12th to 6th
Advanced Services Modifieds
Heat One-Brian Whiteman, Kenny Johnson, Doug Betts, Tim Rayburn, Bob Crace, Jr., Fred Hardbarer, Brian Moore, C.D. Judd, John Arthurs
Heat Two-Sean Schobeloch, Fireball Pinkerton,D.J. Harper, Adam Lawson, Jason Cotterill, Eric Arledge, Matt Yates, Jeff Conrad
Kenny Johnson, Brian Whiteman, Adam Lawson, Sean Schobelock, Jeremy Rayburn,
Jason Cottrill, Bob Crace, Jr., Eric Arledge, CD Judd, Fred Hardbarger, Doug Betts, Brian Moore, T.J Harper, John Arthurs, Matt Yates, Jeff Conrad
Hard Charger - CD Judd 15th to 9th
Dan Reno Hobby Stocks
Heat One-Roger Mossbarger, Brandon Thompson, Keith Dubois, Justin Poling, Richard Trego, Brad McCown, Butch Eblin, Mike Johnson
Heat Two-Jamie Adams, Bruce Gray, Jr., Joe Buskirk, Joe Williams, Jason Holstein, Brandon Mather, Tim Cutler, Mike Brust
Feature-Jamie Adams, Bruce Gray, Jr., Brandon Thompson, Roger Mossbarger, Joe Buskirk, Joe Williams, Tommy Mossbarger, Keith Dubois, Richard Trego, Justin Poling, Brandon Mather, Richard Johnson, Tim Cutler, Jason Holstein, Brad McCown, Butch Eblin, Mike Brust
2010 Sprint Car Points
(Points as of 6-19-2010)
1B Keith Baxter 214
6 Nick Naber 208
4 Danny Smith 193
00 Jimm Nier 152
65 Adam Strauser 188
22c Cole Duncan 160
56R Ryan Myers 156
40 Mark Imler 146
84 Jimmy Stinson 146
41 Randy Fink 139
78 Todd Kane 136
39 Alec Martin 136
Dale Blaney 126
Kody Kinser 120
Josh Davis 104
Brian Smith 101
Greg Wilson 96
Sam Ashworth 93
Brandy Bower 92
Ed Neumeister 87
Brian Whiteman 341
Jason Montgomery 309
Doug Adkins 273
David pinkerton 271
Sean Schobelock 266
Doug Betts 266
Jeremy Rayburn 262
Robin Duston 260
Adam Lawson 254
Jason Cottrill 242
Kenny Johnson 237
C.D. Judd 204
Bud Frazier 191
Fred Hardbarger 174
Brian Moore 174
T.J. Harper 173
Eric Arledge 168
Hoty Reynolds 157
Adam Jordan 141
Jamie Adams 437
Brandon Thompson 368
Tommy Mossbarger 344
Joe Buskirk 341
Bruce Gray, Jr. 321
Joe Williams 306
Mike Brust 284
Brandon Mather 280
Jim Hildebrand 278
Tim Cutler 273
Richard Trego 248
Jayme Dailey 242
Justin Poling 184
Jason Holstein 183
Keith Dubois 178
Tracey Ross 169
Butch Eblin 155
Courtney Fisher 151
Duane Ackley 111
Steve Burrow 90