A trio of big name racers brought home the big-name bucks ($5000) in the 17th annual "Night The Stars Come Out" at Schrader's K-C Raceway. In the O'Reilly All-Star Circuit of Champions Sprint main Dale Blaney, Hartford, Ohio rocketed to the win over Tim Schaffer, while Eddie Carrier, Jr., Salt Rock, WV, made a late-race pass of Matt Miller to pull off the exciting 50-lap AMRA Late Model Main. Racin' Jason Montgomery, Jackson, Ohio suffered Late Model engine woes, but the former champ has found a new home in the "X" Modified, where he led flag-to-flag, then held off Jeremy Rayburn in an exciting finish for the AMRA Modified win.
On a dry, but smooth, ultra-fast surface the O'Reilly All-stars 410 sprint cars on Goodyear Tires were loaded and ready for action as the 24-car field approached the green flag amid a fury of fireworks as a backdrop of the "Night The Stars Come Out" special. The green flag set off a powder-keg of mayhem as some of the nation's very best drivers blitzed the K-C high-banks. Second generation driver, and usual low rider Dale Blaney, strayed from his roots and blitzed around the rim in heroic barnstorming fashion.
On lap two Cincinnati driver Nick Naber flipped several times to bring out one of several red flags. A couple laps later Ed Neumeister and Jimmy Stinson suffered the same fate collecting several other cars in the process.
The race continued with a Blaney, Schaffer, Cale Conley tri-fecta, but that would soon change as Randy Hannigan, Greg Wilson, and Ryan Myers were on the move. Hannigan was on a strong march from tenth with Wilson on his hind quarters moving up from 12th. Also, back in the pack young Kory Crabtree was on the verge of Hard Charger honors in a 21st to 12th run. Former K-C champ Keith Baxter was equally impressive as he two proved that plenty of passing was in store for the fans. Baxter fell just short of a top ten in an 18th to 11th run.
Meanwhile, up front, Shaffer and Hannigan, now third, gave chase to Blaney. Blaney's dominance stifled any bid to unseat him from the front spot as he rode on to the big win to join head wrench George Fisher in victory lane. Blaney, Schaffer, and Hannigan earned the top spots while Conley anchored a strong fourth ahead of Kyle Sauder, Greg Wilson, Jimmy Nier, Ryan Myers, Rob Blair, and David Gravel. More details of this exciting race can be found at http://ascoc.allstarsprint.com/index.php .
In the exciting AMRA Late Model main some of the region's greatest names in Late Model racing charged to Daryl Owens' waving green flag. Dash winner Rod Conley and Duane Chamberlain paced the front row to the stripe for 50-hard-fought laps and just two cautions. Conley got the jump and led the first 15 laps. For several laps it was a family affair of Rod Conley, R.J. Conley and family patriarch Delmas Conley going 1-2-3. Former 2005 Eldora Dream winner Matt Miller led the next 21 circuits of the star-studded event.
Five former K-C Track Champions made the event (Delmas Conley, Ben Adkins, Mark Frazier, Jeff Houser, Keith Berner) and six track champions from other speedways as well as racing wanderer and national traveler Eddie Carrier, Jr. who started eighth. Although K-C celebrated the Night the Stars Come Out with their own 4th of July Fireworks, Carrier was making his own with a charge to the front. Keith Berner raced from 7th to third, while Wayne Chinn battled from 11th to 6th at the finish.
After a lap 18 spin by Chamberlain, the hard-charger battled back into an 11th place finish off the tail. Ben Adkins had a good run going into the top five as Rod Conley started to fade. R.J. Conley gave chase to Miller who at several junctures had separated himself from the rest of the field. Berner and Adkins were also making a move around Hall of Famer and multi-time KC champ Delmas Conley towards the top five. Conley had been a strong top three car for much of the early portions of the race.
Carrier moved into second behind R.J. Conley on lap 40, but Miller appeared to have the stack of $5,000 and new Rocket Chassis well within reach. Chad Smith and another car brought out the caution on lap 44 and the complexion of the race soon changed. Carrier nosed under Miller on the start and for two laps the duo thrashed for common turf. Carrier finally made the race-winning pass on lap 47, then held on for the big win. Rounding out the top ten were Eddie Carrier, Jr., Matt Miller, RJ Conley, Keith Berner, Ben Adkins, Wayne Chinn, Mark Frazier, Delmas Conley, Rick Combs, and Rod Conley. Carrier was hard charger in a 8th to 1st run.
In addition to the cash, Carrier brought home a Rocket Chassis and starting berth in the Dirt Track World Championship at West Virginia Motor Speedway. Carrier said, "Any time you win it is great, but the Rocket Chassis and DTWC start make it more rewarding. Everyone was fast to night and things just fell into place for us to bring home the win."
Jason Montgomery took an early lead in the AMRA Advanced Services Modified feature over Jeremy Rayburn and Rob Stambaugh. Stambaugh made several charges on Montgomery in turns three and four with Dave McWilliams pulling around Rayburn for third.
After a lap seven restart, Stambaugh, McWilliams, and Rayburn launched a bid for first with a three-wide run at Montgomery. Following a lap nine restart, Montgomery seemed to squeeze a little more out of his mount although the hungry pack was once again within striking distance.
By lap eleven the race heated up once again. Rayburn side-stepped past McWilliams, who glanced off the turn four wall, but scrubbed off some speed. Back in the pack Brian Whiteman was blitzing by cars about one per lap in a 14th to 4th run that would earn him hard-charger honors. Battling for position back in the pack were Adam Jordan, Sean Schobelock, Bob Crace, Jr., Luke Jordon, Doug Betts, and T.J Harper.
Jordan, Schobelock, and Crace dazzled the fans with some aggressive, flat-footed action as McWilliams fell off the pace and out of the race.
Todd Robins moved to the bottom and picked off several cars in the latter stages. Montgomery stretched it out to a cakewalk, and had the race gone directly to checkered would have pulled off an easy win. But then the script took a dramatic twist.
A stalled Stambaugh brought out the yellow on lap 18 and erased the "X"-man Montgomery's lead. Jeremy Rayburn found new life on the restart and made the last seven laps an exciting battle-royal. Rayburn tried him on the last lap but came up a car length short at the checkered. Montgomery's effort also puts him in the Starting field for the DTWC modified program.
The summary-KC Raceway - 7/3/2010
O'Reilly Auto Parts Night/Night the Stars Come Out!
All Star Circuit of Champions
Qualifying - Kistler Engines
1. 84-Jimmy Stinson, 11.755; 2. 22-Cole Duncan, 11.789; 3. 83-Tim Shaffer, 11.837; 4. 89G-David Gravel, 11.895; 5. 2-Dale Blaney, 11.905; 6. 7K-Kyle Sauder, 11.906; 7. 35-Ronnie Blair, 11.925; 8. 3C-Cale Conley, 11.935; 9. OO-Jim Neir, 11.982; 10. 4K-Kody Kinser, 11.990; 11. 1X-Randy Hannagan, 12.042; 12. W20-Greg Wilson, 12.171; 13. 93-Sheldon Haudenschild, 12.197; 14. 6X-Nick Nabor, 12.373; 15. 56R-Ryan Myers, 12.386; 16. 11M-Brandon Martin, 12.510; 17. 6-Bill Rose, 12.551; 18. 15H-Mitch Harble, 12.579; 19. 1B-Keith Baxter, 12.718; 20. 39-Alec Martin, 12.722; 21. 11N-Ed Neumeister, 12.788; 22. 60C-Kory Crabtree, 12.893; 23. 40-Mark Imler, 12.917; 24. 2H-Dallas Hewitt, 12.925; 25. 78L-Kirk Jeffries, 13.065; 26. 12-Jared Ridge, 13.173; 27. O6-Brandy Bower, 13.189; 28. 22T-Miranda Throckmorton, 13.361; 29. 9J-Jesse McCreary, 13.602; 30. 41-Randy Fink, 13.705; 31. 4X-Eddie Slone, 13.953; 32. 13-Wes McGlumphy, 14.183; 33. 3F-Rick Fraley, 14.699; 34. 5H-Jordan Harble, 15.096; 35. 28-Todd Kane, 99.000; 36. O4-Cap Henry, 99.000
Heat 1 - MSD Ignition (8 Laps - Top 5 Transfer)
1. 6-Bill Rose; 2. OO-Jim Neir; 3. 84-Jimmy Stinson; 4. 93-Sheldon Haudenschild; 5. 2-Dale Blaney; 6. 11N-Ed Neumeister; 7. 78L-Kirk Jeffries; 8. 9J-Jesse McCreary; 9. 3F-Rick Fraley
Heat 2 - Kears Speed Shop (8 Laps - Top 5 Transfer)
1. 4K-Kody Kinser; 2. 6X-Nick Nabor; 3. 22-Cole Duncan; 4. 7K-Kyle Sauder; 5. 60C-Kory Crabtree; 6. 12-Jared Ridge; 7. 41-Randy Fink; 8. 5H-Jordan Harble; 9. 15H-Mitch Harble
Heat 3 - All Pro Heads (8 Laps - Top 5 Transfer)
1. 1B-Keith Baxter; 2. 83-Tim Shaffer; 3. 1X-Randy Hannagan; 4. 40-Mark Imler; 5. 56R-Ryan Myers; 6. 4X-Eddie Slone; 7. 35-Ronnie Blair; 8. O6-Brandy Bower; 9. 28-Todd Kane
Heat 4 - Outerwears Performance Products (8 Laps - Top 5 Transfer)
1. 2H-Dallas Hewitt; 2. W20-Greg Wilson; 3. 11M-Brandon Martin; 4. 3C-Cale Conley; 5. 89G-David Gravel; 6. 39-Alec Martin; 7. 13-Wes McGlumphy; 8. 22T-Miranda Throckmorton; 9. O4-Cap Henry
B-Main - UNOH (12 Laps - Top 4 Transfer)
1. 35-Ronnie Blair; 2. 11N-Ed Neumeister; 3. 39-Alec Martin; 4. 78L-Kirk Jeffries; 5. O6-Brandy Bower; 6. 9J-Jesse McCreary; 7. 4X-Eddie Slone; 8. 22T-Miranda Throckmorton; 9. 13-Wes McGlumphy; 10. 41-Randy Fink; 11. 3F-Rick Fraley; 12. 5H-Jordan Harble; 13. 12-Jared Ridge; 14. 28-Todd Kane; 15. 15H-Mitch Harble; 16. O4-Cap Henry
A-Main - O’Reilly Auto Parts (30 Laps) [#]-Starting Position
1. 2-Dale Blaney; 2. 83-Tim Shaffer; 3. 1X-Randy Hannagan; 4. 3C-Cale Conley; 5. 7K-Kyle Sauder; 6. W20-Greg Wilson; 7. OO-Jim Neir; 8. 56R-Ryan Myers; 9. 35-Ronnie Blair; 10. 89G-David Gravel; 11. 1B-Keith Baxter; 12. 60C-Kory Crabtree; 13. 11M-Brandon Martin; 14. 93-Sheldon Haudenschild; 15. 6-Bill Rose; 16. 39-Alec Martin; 17. 40-Mark Imler; 18. 4K-Kody Kinser; 19. 22-Cole Duncan; 20. 84-Jimmy Stinson; 21. 11N-Ed Neumeister; 22. 6X-Nick Nabor; 23. 2H-Dallas Hewitt; 24. 78L-Kirk Jeffries
Hard Charger Kory Crabtree 21st to 12th
AMRA Late Models
Fast Time- Ben Adkins 14.176
Dash- Rod Conley, Duane Chamberlain, Delmas Conley, RJ Conley, Ben Adkins, Matt Miller
Heat One-Keith Berner, Andy Bond, Wayne Chinn, Greggie Oliver, Billy Gullion, Carri Mason, Ernie Hoshar, Ricky Neace
Heat Two- Eddie Carrier, Jr., Rick Combs, Mark Frazier, Barry Doss, Chad Smith, Jeff Houser, Scott Wolfe, Kevin Wagner
B-Main: Kevin Wagner, Jeff Houser, Scott Wolfe, Carri Mason, Ernie Hoshar, Ricky Neace, Kevin Furlong
Feature-Eddie Carrier, Jr., Matt Miller, RJ Conley, Keith Berner, Ben Adkins, Wayne Chinn, Mark Frazier, Delmas Conley, Rick Combs, Rod Conley, Duane Chamberlain, Andy Bond, Barry Doss, Billy Gullion, Kevin Wagner, Chad Smith, Scott Wolfe, Jeff Houser, Carri Mason, Greggie Oliver
Hard Charger Eddie Carrier 8th to 1st
AMRA Advanced Services Modifieds
Fast Time: Todd Robinson 15.758
Heat One-Jason Montgomery, Todd Robinson , David Pinkerton, Luke Jordon, Bud Frazier, Lonnie Kidd, Dale Lyons
Heat Two-Jeremy Rayburn, Rob Stambaugh, Adam Jordan, Sean Schobelock, Brian Whiteman, Jason Cottrill
Heat Three: Rick Hensley, David McWilliams, Bob Crace, Jr., Doug Betts, T.J Harper, Steve Clemmons, Bud Thornsberry, Fred Hardbarger
B-Main: Jason Cottrill, Dale Lyons, Steve Clemmons, Eric Arledge, Bud Thornsberry, Donnie Stewart, Adam Colley, Lonnie Kidd
Feature-Jason Montgomery, Jeremy Rayburn, Todd Robinson, Brian Whiteman, Adam Jordan, Sean Schobelock, Bob Crace, Jr., Luke Jordon, Doug Betts, T.J Harper, Bud Frazier, Steve Clemmons, Jason Cottrill, Bud Thornsberry, Rob Stambaugh, David McWilliams, Eric Arledge, Dale Lyons, Rick Hensley, David Pinkerton
Hard Charger Brian Whiteman 14th to 4th