WTAP @ 5 To Your Health Report: Cataracts

By: Chuck Roberts
By: Chuck Roberts

Foods packed with vitamins and minerals are good for your body.

Any nutritionist will tell you that.

But now researchers are finding, they may also ward off eye problems, especially in women.

Here's Chuck Roberts with today's Health Minute.

The old wives' tale that eating carrots is good for the eyes could have more truth to it than you may have thought.

A new study out of the June issue of Archives of Ophthamology found that women who eat foods rich in vitamins and minerals, like carrots, could have a lower risk of developing a type of cataract, known as a nuclear cataract.

Nuclear cataracts are the most common cataracts in the US. As they develop, they cloud the lens of the eye, causing obstruction to light. Cataracts are the leading cause of blindness in the world. And as you age, the likelihood of developing a cataract increases.
n this study, researchers looked at the nutritional risk factors and eye health in 18-hundred women between the ages of 55 to 86 years old. They found those who stuck to the u-s dietary guidelines had a less likely chance of developing cataracts.

The data showed that of the group, 736, or about 41 percent had either developed of were already developing a nuclear cataract, while the other 59 percent remained cataract free.

Study authors say these results show that lifestyle improvements , such as improving your diet, keeping a healthy weight and cutting out tobacco, can lower the need for cataract surgery in aging american women, and keep their eyes healthier for a longer period of time.

For today's Health Minute, I'm Chuck Roberts.

Comments are posted from viewers like you and do not always reflect the views of this station.
powered by Disqus
TheNewsCenter One Television Plaza Parkersburg, WV. 26101 304-485-4588
Copyright © 2002-2015 - Designed by Gray Digital Media - Powered by Clickability 96417754 - thenewscenter.tv/a?a=96417754
Gray Television, Inc.